Synth/Decay control for fuzz

Started by pixel, June 16, 2008, 01:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixel

Hey y'all. I've been messing around with a fuzz pedal and I'm just wondering if there's a simple way to add a synth/decay control. When I say synth/decay, I mean like a control that can turn your fuzz from full and thick (what it is normally) to thin, crackly, velcro-ey, synthy, decayed (not what it usually is). I'm working on a Fuzz Face circuit if it's any consolation.
I kinda get the desired effect when I add a resistor between the collector and emitter of my second transistor. I was just wondering if I would be able to make a potentiometer control this in a better way. I've tried putting a potentiometer in place of the resistor, but the problem is when the potentiometer is set at zero, the signal is dead.
Any help would be appreciated, and I hope this thread helps future projects as a simple to implement synth/decay control would be pretty awesome IMO.

Thanks!

ianmgull

Using a multimeter you could measure the useful range of the potentiometer, subtract the difference, and use a resistor and a pot that add up (roughly) to the original value of the pot.  For example:

If you're using a 5k pot and you find that it is only useful between 4k-5k, you could put a 4k resistor and a 1k pot in series. This would also give you the benefit of increasing the useful range of the pot.

ian

Meanderthal

Sounds like a bias pot is all you need to do what you say. 

I am not responsible for your imagination.

rnfr

try a voltage sag pot.  beavis has a good diagram on his site.