OpenStomp Coyote-1 - open source effects

Started by Pushtone, June 18, 2008, 06:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushtone

This open stomp thing sounds very interesting.
The software component is the most interesting thing to me.
At first I assumed it was the Spin FV-1 chip-set but now I don't think so.

Credit goes to Jacks blog: http://www.muzique.com/news/?p=103
Posted today!

Good luck with the reno Jack!

http://www.openstomp.com/

SPECS

- Propeller Processor (eight independent 80MHz cores or "cogs")
- 1MByte SRAM
- 44kHz 24-bit sampling (2 input channels and 2 output channels)
- 4 control knobs
- 16x2 LCD screen
- 2 stomp switches
- 2 stomp indicator LEDs
- 1 1/4 inch audio input
- 1 1/4 inch audio output
- 1 multipurpose 1/4 inch audio jack (can be used as either a second output (for stereo effects) or as an additional input
   (for modulation effects etc.))
- NTSC Video out
- Micro USB
- 9V DC Power in
- Headphone out (mini phono jack)
- RJ45 expansion port (for potentially adding things like external foot pedals)
- Steel chassis
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Pushtone

dano12

This is, hands down, the most amazing piece of work I've seen in recent memory.

While Line 6 shuffles around with a team of engineers for their programmable, still not shipping thingy, this guy designs and builds a far more interesting solution on his own. And the Windows GUI means programmablility is available to the masses, not just the priesthood of people who can code C.

Wow. Just wow. I bow down in humility.

The Tone God

Not to be a downer but I'll wait until I see the costs and more info. This could easily be someone's pipe dream only to become vapourware ala Duke Nukem Forever. No units to offer means no serious commitment.

I would like this to be true but I have seen this before in other fields.

Andrew

ACS

Have a read through the forum discussions - he claims he's pretty much got cost sorted.  All costs accounted for except final costs on the chassis, and he reckons it will come in under $300.  If he can make that happen, he's on to a winner.  Too cool...

David

Well, it's promising.  I'm not sure it's a be-all and end-all silver bullet.  I see some things missing that bother me.  1)  There's no expression pedal.  2)  It looks like it might be set up to "be" one effect at a time.  No replacing my pedalboard yet.  3)  It will be REAL interesting to see if the "fizzy" digital distortion issue has been solved or at least mitigated on this thing.  The biggest reason I mothballed my GT-3 was that the distortion on it sounded like doo-doo no matter how I adjusted it.

yodude

Quote from: David on June 19, 2008, 08:09:06 AM
...  1)  There's no expression pedal.  2)  It looks like it might be set up to "be" one effect at a time.  ...

From the site:
"- RJ45 expansion port (for potentially adding things like external foot pedals)"
"A companion Windows application ... allows Users to combine effects into patches ..."

evilpaul

Looks very promising. The opportunity to play around with DSP hacking and download other peoples creations is great. The price is pretty good too, when you consider that just one of the applications mentioned - a 24-bit 8 second looper/delay - would not come cheap as a standalone pedal. They latency looks excellent too, 10 samples total, with 4 FX running at 44.1kHz.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but I wonder how 'open source' this pedal is going to be?

Pushtone

Quote from: evilpaul on June 19, 2008, 09:02:52 AM

I wonder how 'open source' this pedal is going to be?

Just a guess but it seems the open source part is where the software for it comes in.
Drag, drop and wire up processing modules in a GUI then dump the data to the hardware.
Advanced users can write their own modules.

Then share all your patches and modules in the open source realm.

liddokun

To those about to rock, we salute you.

MetalGuy

Now, for those of us not able and not willing (at all) to write codes, please answer these questions below:

1/ Will this stompbox be able to do several efects in a row /for ex. chorus - delay - reverb/?
2/ Is it possible to create  patches?
3/ Are there currently any free effects /code/ to choose from to be used with this chip via an user friendly software?

Thanks.

any

Quote from: MetalGuy on June 19, 2008, 04:50:37 PM
Now, for those of us not able and not willing (at all) to write codes, please answer these questions below:

1/ Will this stompbox be able to do several efects in a row /for ex. chorus - delay - reverb/?
2/ Is it possible to create  patches?
3/ Are there currently any free effects /code/ to choose from to be used with this chip via an user friendly software?

Thanks.

You obviously haven't followed the link to their website because all those questions are awnsered in the first paragraph of the first page...  :icon_redface:
It's supposed to sound that way.

tommy.genes

Quote from: ACS on June 18, 2008, 10:19:42 PM
Have a read through the forum discussions...

This is a worthwhile suggestion. Here's a LINK

Photos and demos show that the device is not vaporware. Sound quality of the chorus and delay/looper seem fine, but the distortion is definitely digital fizz.

I think the bigger test, beyond just getting the hardware on the market, is to see what quality of effects the open-source community can develop for the Propeller chip. At first glance, the Propeller seems to be more of a general micro-controller than a dedicated DSP chip like the Line 6 uses (which is not yet available, I know). The whole idea of using software to "drag-and-drop" effects modules into patches is first dependent upon the individual effects modules being available. It seems that creating the effect modules themselves still involves some C# coding.

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

theblueark

The older parallex forum is even more interesting.

I'd be real happy if the code was in C#, but I doubt it's an efficient enough language to handle effects. From what I'm reading in the older forum, he's aiming to provide for 3 types of users:

1) Uber-users who want to create (i.e. code) custom applications more-or-less "from scratch".   <-me!
2) Super-users who want to create (i.e. code) custom "effects".
3) Regular users who want to make use of the community of published work without having to write code.

From his posts, the parallex chips are programmed with Spin. However, the effects will still have to be written in ASM (assembly language) to keep up with the 44khz sample rate.

If the community grows large enough, there would hopefully be enough contributing (1) users to create powerful applications from which (2) users will gladly use to create effects for (3) users. This has happened in the jailbreaking iphone community as well as the homebrew PSP community. But those are gigantic markets.

I'm eagerly awaiting this, have been dreaming about such power at my fingertips since I saw the Jesusonic which never made it past the software stage. http://www.jesusonic.com/

soulsonic

I want an editor that's something like Reaktor.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com