Selecting between two effects (one switch for on, one for select) w/ LEDS

Started by sjaltenb, June 18, 2008, 11:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Hey yall.

So I'm Going to have a RAT and a Muff clone on my board, and they will have a single On/Off 3pdt bypass switch, and a switch to select between the two.

Can someone help me figure out how to wire this? Ideally, I would REALLY like for this to happen....but i'm not sure if its possible.

When an effect is selected to come on once the bypass is hit, I would like a Green (ready) LED...and once the bypass is switches to ON, i would like there to be a RED led on.

Can we wire this with two-color LEDs so I end up with only 2 LEDs..so depending on whats "on deck" a green light will illuminte accordingly, and once its engaged...it turns red....

Help me out please!! This would be really cool! What type of selector switch would i need?

Thanks!!!!!!

Mugshot

im interested too. yesterday i squeezed in a phase 90/LPB into a single enclosure which is switchable using a common dpdt switch, and using lugs 1 and 4 for the LPB and lugs 3 and 6 for the phaser, while lugs 2 and 5 are connected to the DPDT stomp switch input/output.

i didnt like what i heard. i read that you have to ground input of the circuits to shut them up right? if toggling between two circuits, can i just use an SPST and the middle lug shunted to ground and both inputs from the circuits connected to the in/out of the stomp switch?

sorry for the kinda vague description, but how do you effectively switch between two circuits in a single box?
i am what i am, so are you.

JKowalski

I would suggest that you try to figure it out yourself rather then have someone else figure it out for you - it's just a big mess of logic, not really any kind of electronic problem.

If you put your mind to it you can definitely figure it out yourself, and you'll get satisfaction and experience!  :icon_biggrin:

I'll give you some hints though - from what I visualized while reading your description, it sounds like you can do it with three 3PDT's.

If you really get stuck on it, ill wire it out for you.

owenjames

I have worked it out. Two switches, bi colour LEDs, and truebypass for both effects. so when none are selected its truebypass, and when one is on the other is truebypassed.

the effect that is selected will be lit up with a green light while both are bypassed. When the effect is engaged that green light will turn red.

I could give my design to you but as the other guy suggests, it would be more fun to work it out yourself. I have just told you that it is possible to do.

If you do want it though ill be happy to give it to you.

owenjames

Infact, switches can be used as AND or OR gates. If you want to learn a new logic technique lookup karnaugh maps. Then you can find out the logic combination, it will be only an AND and an OR gate, which can be implemented with the switches.

JKowalski

Quote from: sjaltenb on June 18, 2008, 11:52:51 PM
single On/Off 3pdt bypass switch

Woops, I guess I visualized it wrong! Yeah, you only need two 3pdt switches, as owen said.

sjaltenb

hello!

wow that post was old! Being that I am a lot more educated now than I used to be, I'm sure I could figure it out.

However, I have so much to tackle finishing up this board right now I can barely see straight.

**See this thread:

So, if one of ya'll would be so kind to explain how to do it....I would be so very grateful.

Remember I am trying to accomplish this:

Two Leds, two 3pdts. One switch selects On/Off, one selects which one. The LED for the selected effect is always on and Green. When the loop is switched "ON" the light turns to Red.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

owenjames

http://www.owenjamesoriginals.com/images/switching.jpg

J1 is one part of a 3pDT
J2 is a different 3PDT.

Getting the other two poles of each switch to switch is just the same as any other pedal.

tackleberry

Have a look at the double D on runoffgroove. It has the same sort of set up on/bypass w LED, and ch select w LEDs.