Switching between 2 transistors w a 3pdt- But which ones? Q1 or Q2?

Started by jimbob, June 20, 2008, 02:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

According to GEO:

QuoteThe character of the distortion is affected more by the first transistor, and the overall gain by the second one.

So, If one was planning to switch between 2 transistors with a 3pdt switch and want/expect a change in the character of the distortion, the the best transistor to switch would be Q1?

With the Axis Fuzz I switch between a 2n2222 and a BD 139. I really don't hear much of a difference. I assume that this is because
Quotethe second transistor has a subsidiary role. It acts as an emitter follower in the biasing and distortion set up by the first transistor, and also adds some gain of its own.

So, I can assume that by switching the Q1 transistor I can expect a noticeable difference?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Processaurus

You can use a DPDT and leave the two transistors connected together at a point (example, both collectors are hooked together always), because the unused transistor has no circuit (no path for power to go to ground) with the other two leads floating, so it is for all intents not part of the circuit.

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

Btw- Dano great mods! I wish I would have seen them before I started. I think Ill give the Howl of Flaming death mod a try as well as the Phatty mod. Very interesting stuff.