PCB for R.G. Keen's Quick and Dirty Audio Test Oscillator?

Started by fogwolf, June 24, 2008, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fogwolf

Does anyone have a ready to transfer image of a PCB design for R.G. Keen's Quick and Dirty Audio Test Oscillator?

Thanks.

fogwolf

Actually I have one more really simple question that I think I know the answer to bu want to make sure. If I wanted to add a power switch to this I'd just stick a SPST toggle between the +9V on the board and the voltage in, right?

Also, what is connected to ground exactly - is this the battery negative? And the output is the tip of the mono output jack? So would the shield of the output jack also be connected to ground? I know these are really basic questions, but I'm still very new and have so far been following very exact wiring diagrams, trying to analyze them as I go, but I'm still learning and haven't wired anything without an input jack before either, so want to make sure I wire up the battery and the jack correctly.

Thanks!

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on June 24, 2008, 09:56:32 AM
search the gallery:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/jpm83s-Gallery/album176/PCB+layouts/q_amp_doscillator+layout.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

cpnyc23

You can put a SPST switch in the V+ line to break the connection to the circuit - just make sure that you are only doing this with small voltage circuits.  You can also break the ground connection with a SPST.  The power needs to be a circle to function so breaking the path will break the flow.

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

fogwolf

Thanks!

Could anyone else help with the other wiring questions? Greatly appreciated.

Quote from: cpnyc23 on June 24, 2008, 06:27:40 PM
You can put a SPST switch in the V+ line to break the connection to the circuit - just make sure that you are only doing this with small voltage circuits.  You can also break the ground connection with a SPST.  The power needs to be a circle to function so breaking the path will break the flow.

-chris

JOHNO

Yeah mate, the negative battery wire goes to the ground pad on the pcb. the output to the tip connection of the jack but you will also have to ground the sleeve of the jack also.

fogwolf

Thank you!

Quote from: JOHNO on June 25, 2008, 09:59:40 AM
Yeah mate, the negative battery wire goes to the ground pad on the pcb. the output to the tip connection of the jack but you will also have to ground the sleeve of the jack also.

cpnyc23

The SPST switch is really just acting like an input jack on a pedal.  With an input jack, when you insert a tip/sleeve plug  it is just like flipping the SPST switch.  You are completing the circle that the power needs to flow.

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

fogwolf

Quote from: cpnyc23 on June 25, 2008, 07:50:47 PM
The SPST switch is really just acting like an input jack on a pedal.  With an input jack, when you insert a tip/sleeve plug  it is just like flipping the SPST switch.  You are completing the circle that the power needs to flow.

That makes sense.

Quote from: cpnyc23 on June 24, 2008, 06:27:40 PM
You can put a SPST switch in the V+ line to break the connection to the circuit - just make sure that you are only doing this with small voltage circuits.

Curious how this is done for larger voltage circuits (and what the issue is with putting a break in the V+ line)?

Thanks.

cpnyc23

break the ground instead of the + supply to avoid a shock that could end your everything....

In reality, if you are doing battery powered pedals with 9 volts, either works.  Just don't use these methods for AC or large voltages.

-chris

fogwolf

Makes sense - thanks..

Quote from: cpnyc23 on June 26, 2008, 06:02:26 PM
break the ground instead of the + supply to avoid a shock that could end your everything....

In reality, if you are doing battery powered pedals with 9 volts, either works.  Just don't use these methods for AC or large voltages.

-chris

fogwolf

What is VR1 in the layout diagram/bom? http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/jpm83s-Gallery/album176/PCB+layouts/q_amp_doscillator+layout.gif.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Ok, I found this on an old post:

QuoteVR1 is simply a regular potentiometer wired as a variable resistor. This means you connect the wiper and one out lug and you're done.

What is the "R" in 100R and what ohm of pot would I need? Based on the diagram, would I connect the wiper to either the 9V line or the line that goes to the E of Q1 and one of the out lugs to the other line (it looks like there's an extra pad from the +9V line that runs under R1 in the diagram)?

Thanks.

aron

100 ohm. Looks like the top two lugs (middle and outer) connect to V+. In reality, just the wiper could go to V+ and it would work as well.

fogwolf

Thanks.

Quote from: aron on July 02, 2008, 01:51:10 PM
100 ohm. Looks like the top two lugs (middle and outer) connect to V+. In reality, just the wiper could go to V+ and it would work as well.