engraving tutorial video online

Started by joegagan, June 24, 2008, 08:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

hi all,

i did a little documenting of my engraving process. i will have part 2 coming soon.

brock yates, the famous automotive journalist and creator of the original cannonball run (before the movie , the REAL cross continent balls out race) once wrote that he could drive anywhere within a 500 mile range faster than flying on a plane, taking into account the time to get to the plane, board etc etc.

same deal here, by the time you open your graphics program, design a logo, print off a label, my hand lettered engraving job would probably be finished.
and once you engrave into the metal, it will last centuries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awkec90eI5M

the best advice i can give is that you must anchor your hand and really control the tool. a dremel is like a dog, it can smell fear.

practice!

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Timebutt

Great tutorial and very impressive result! Will have to try this out :)
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

John Lyons

Yeah, cool video Joe.
Good tips etc.
Like that new song for the outro, worked well!

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

gmr1

Nice! A fellow lefty. Good stuff. I'm gonna have to give this a go.

Marcos - Munky

Cool. Thanks for the tutorial. I think I will give a try in my next build.

gez

I used to do this technique on my pedals using a flexi attachment for my mini-drill.  I used to print off my graphics onto sticky paper, slap it on the box and use it as a template much the same way as is shown in the vid.  I found I got the best results using fonts that looked like handwriting as they're more forgiving if you make tiny slips.  Either that or use fonts that are slightly shaky!  :icon_lol:

I might have some pics somewhere (I'll dig around).

[Edit]  This is the only one I have in my files:

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Solidhex

Yo

I used to do this on a lot of pedals but sort of stopped. Never tried the tape thing! Wonder how it would look engraving on other painted enclosures...

--Brad

petemoore

Looks good Joe !
  Nice video !
   The "Cello swell" chords make great impressions !

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

joegagan

gez, that engraving looks really cool!
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

this video features a brontoboost with engraved logo, knobs and faceplate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocIsHsm8XCk
+a toothbrush and a minor blues

gez

Quote from: joegagan on June 26, 2008, 10:46:57 AM
gez, that engraving looks really cool!

I'm afraid that you're wrong, Joe.  My partner opened the topic reply notification (she's nosy like that), took a look to see what all the fuss was about and informed me that my work looks 'amateurish'.  Women!  :icon_rolleyes:  :icon_lol:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

John Lyons

Joe
That vid is kind of like a cross between "car wash" and pre Experience Hendrix.
The bubbly scrub-a-dub set to the down beat minor blues semi-psychedelic blues this is neat.
What guitar is that?

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

gez, yours is like more precise than mine, so don't let her see mine!

GREEN FUZ

She may have been referring to the elevated knob. Yeah, yeah, you can make up your own jokes. ::)

joegagan

greenfuz, that was funny.

i like my knob(s) low unless my girlfriend .. .ummmm . um never mind

john, thanks. i guess the indie film maker in me is fighting to get out and play.

the tempos of the cleaning strokes and the song were not intentionally meant to go together, when i am video editing, i just grab whatever soundclip is handy to grab ie;most recently opened etc.

the guitar is an early  rightie 80 iBZ that i bought in 84 used, carved out a scoop in the body to reach the upper frets.
in 94 my son wanted a guitar so we stayed up late a few nights to turn it back to righty. he played it thru highschool,
painted it yella and then loaned it back to me a few years ago, so it goes lefty again. gets a duncan JB junior in the bridge and a nice texas special strat pu at the neck.

the sound in the clip was the bridge pickup.

now sean wants it back , so it will righty again for the 3RD time   ha ha

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

John Lyons

Oh, ok. I noticed the scoop in the clip looking a bit different that stock and though maybe it was some sort of DIY guitar.
Just a Gagan modification :icon_wink:
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/