Converting a Crybaby to a Colorsound (with inductor)

Started by Solidhex, June 25, 2008, 03:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solidhex

Had some Crybaby GCB95 guts laying around and though it might be interesting to convert it to Colorsound specs. Going by the values listed in the wah comparison chart in the gallery.. http://aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/TCobrettis-Stuff/Wah_Comparisons.gif.html   
  I jumpered Re1 and Rc2, disconnected a side of Rq, replaced Rin with a 100k, and replaced the 4.7uf with a 10uf. Rb2 was already a 100k in my Crybaby. I left the buffer in and and the transistors.
  Checked it out once I was done. The first thing I noticed was the low end was taking up most of the pot sweep and was almost oscillating. I decided to pull out and socket the transistors. I've tried a bunch so far. Bc108's, Bc109's, BC183, BC239, BC550. MPSA18. Putting anything past 600 hfe pretty much results in runaway low end oscillation. Lower gain results in a more controlled sweep but makes it a little gutless? In general it reminds me a bit of the Parapedal. Has that same sort of "thunk" as it travels from bass to treble. The sweep is very abrupt, tough to work the sweet spot. Low end has that weird "guitar playing through a concrete wall" sound.
  I want to mess around a bit more with it. Hope to get something like the T Rex or first 2 Sabbath records tones out of it...
Any one else try this ever?

--Brad

Solidhex

After messing with it some more I recommend throwing some low to middle of the road gain transistors in and placing a temp 1k pot between q1's emitter and ground. Twiddle it till you get the bass under control and replace with a fixed resistor. I liked 270 ohm. Its a very quacky wah, lower voiced than a crybaby, more low end sweep than a Clyde I think. I'm really digging it.

--Brad

Gila_Crisis

i've done this on my modded vox too!
plus i putted Rin 100k, removed Rq (i had a 100k pot), Rc2 remplaced with a jumper and now for Re1 i'll put a 500ohm pot (which will replace the Q pot)

now it's more vocal, i love it!

here's how it looks like: