4 pedals in 1 box???

Started by dave neuleib, June 26, 2008, 02:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave neuleib

I am going to put a Mosfet Booster(AMZ),Tube Screamer(GGG),Marshal Guv"nor(GGG),and a Fuzz Face(GGG) in the same enclosure. Anyone have any experience with a FuzzFace circuit and how they interact with other circuits? I hear Fuzz Face have interference/motorboating problems by themselves. I plan on using a positive ground on the Fuzz Face. How will this interact with negative ground circuits. I also plan on grounding each circuit separate and a input and output jack for each circuit.Does this sound like it is possible or should I leave the Fuzz out??  HELP!!

cheeb

Quote from: dave neuleib on June 26, 2008, 02:48:34 PM
Anyone have any experience with a FuzzFace circuit and how they interact with other circuits?
What's a Fuzz Face? We don't build those here.

Solidhex

Yo

You might want to just do a negative ground Fuzz face with NPN's if you can find them. From my experience buffered signals sound like kaka going into fuzz faces so you might want it first in the signal chain. Of course if you don't connect the circuits internally you can have in/out jacks for all of them and patch them together in any order you want. A little messy of course.

--Brad

Renegadrian

4 pedals in a single box...WHAT?!

Yes, I am going to do it soon too...It's gonna be Tillman/LPB2 and One Knob Fat Fuzz/Bazz Fuss

4 in 1!!!! ahahahahaha They rock....
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

dave neuleib

I allready have PNP Germaniums bought. Any difference in the sound between NPN & PNP? I get confused on what I hear about them. Some say you can't use NPN without motorboating.

petemoore

Yupp...FF can have troubles with certain boxes, try the other way around [reverse effects order]...so many boxes...depends on gain levels settings etc etc
  How are the switches going to work ?
  How many switches...two like:
  Booster /or/ booster
  and
  Fuzz /or/ fuzz ?
  I'd like looking at / discussing some block diagrams.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dave neuleib

I'm going to have a 3PDT switch for each effect and a sererate power source and input/output jacks for each effect.

dave neuleib

Solidhex

Quote from: dave neuleib on June 26, 2008, 04:29:04 PM
I allready have PNP Germaniums bought. Any difference in the sound between NPN & PNP? I get confused on what I hear about them. Some say you can't use NPN without motorboating.

Negative ground fuzz faces using NPN trannies don't have any motorboating problems that I personally have experienced but I have heard that trying to modify the circuit to use PNP transistors while using negative ground results in motorboating. To share the same housing as the negative ground circuits you're gonna have to get some NPN's or just build a separate pedal I would think.

--Brad

Pushtone

Ted Weber has a new enclosure that might suit a four effect pedal.
Check it out. Its pre-drilled for amp switching but it looks like it would still work with more holes drilled in it.
I ordered one.

Heres the link.
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/encord.htm

FYI - Hard site to navigate.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

GREEN FUZ

dave neuleib

I 'm a welder by trade so I made the enclosure out of aluminum tread plate.(11"long and with a slanted front) My decisions are  1. If to include a positive ground Fuzz Face in the same enclosure with negative ground circuits  2. Where to place Fuzz Face in the effect chain if I do

earthtonesaudio

Using a negative ground Fuzz Face will simplify things greatly.  If you do positive ground, it needs its own supply, and for its ground to be isolated from the other pedals' grounds.

I would make sure you can have your guitar direct into the Fuzz Face.  The way it interacts with the pickups and volume control on the guitar is the whole point to a fuzz face, in my opinion.  You might want to put the booster before it sometimes to get a really fuzzy tone, but make sure the booster is true bypass or you'll lose that guitar/fuzz interaction.

dave neuleib

1. Does a negative ground sound as good as a positive ground? 2. If I gound each effect seperate will I have a problem?(this would still leave + and - grounds to same enclosure even though they are seperate circuits) ???

dave neuleib

Looks like from input here I'll build a positive ground Fuzz in a seperate enclosure. I'm thinking about filling the extra hole with a Orange Squeezer. Any input on where to place it in pedal chain(before or after Mosfet Booster and Tube Screamer)would be appreciated.