Treble-pot for Sonic Distortion?

Started by kashmir, June 28, 2008, 07:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kashmir

I built a Sonic Distortion according to GGG's schematic (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/sonic_sc.gif). It's a nice sounding pedal as is but I prefer a little darker tones so I would like to add a separate treble-pot on it. I have read Jack Orman's article (http://www.muzique.com/lab/atone.htm) so I have the basic idea how to do it; I have a question concerning "the isolation resistors" though. In Sonic Distortion there isn't too much gain to waste so I'm wondering what would be the ideal resistance value for this resistor? Would a 47 k resistor be a safe choice? How about the treble pot? I thought that I would replace the 6,8 k resistor (R12) with a 10 k potentiometer... Could a 1,8 k fixed resistor and a 5 k pot serie combination be a better choice?

petemoore

Smaller cap limits the attenuation to higher frequencies.
  They don't tend to sound like they limit overall volume as much, but HF's can certainly help cut through a mix.
  I just picked out a capacitor value [by placing it in the testclip wires which were connected inside the bypass at the out put and goes to ground...anyway find a cap that barely does or slightly over-does the treble rolloff. Use that value and put a pot in series with it...adjust values as necessary.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

kashmir

That's a nice idea but I'd rather like to add the treble pot to the tone stack. Thanks for the tip anyways!

petemoore

Take a look at AMZ, Labs Notebook, or download Duncan Tonestack Calculator, an interactive 'tonefinder'...lets you see and 'try out' tonestacks of various ilks.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

kashmir

Did you look at the link in my first post (AMZ Dual Tone Control by Jack Orman)? :)

I know how to add the treble-pot to Sonic Distortion's tone stack - I'm just a bit unsure about the ideal resistor values in Sonic Distortion -context... A quote from Orman's article: "To reduce interaction between the sections, a pair of 47k isolation resistors (R1, R2) have been added on the output to mix together the signals from the two sections."

kashmir

BUMP

I built the SD-9 on veroboard so I wouldn't mind to experiment (read: solder and desolder) much... If I don't get any other suggestions I'm going to use a 10 k pot and 47 k isolation resistors.