Beavis regenerative feedback mod- how can you turn it on/off w/out a switch?

Started by jimbob, July 01, 2008, 02:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

According to http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FuzzLab/FuzzCloneMods_V2.gif aka howl of Flaming Death Mod how would I be able to turn it on/off without the switch? And without having it on at all times (unless it has no effects on the sound when not turned up)

Btw- this mods seems incredably familiar to some REALLY expensive and well know FUZZ pedal.

Anyone/Ideas?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Solidhex

I don't think its possible to turn anything on/off without a switch... If its a space issue get a pot with a switch built in like the 31VM601-F  on the mouser site?

--Brad

jimbob

I noticed that the Fuzz Factory does this same thing only no switch.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

hday

You could have some sort of momentary that turns a bypass off and just leave the effect on all the time. It would be smaller, but not by much. Not sure why you don't want a switch.

Or are you asking how you would add a switch because there isn't one? I guess that makes more sense.

jimbob

I had been watching a demo of the Fuzz Factory on You tube when I noticed one of the knobs/features was WAY similar to the Howl of Flaming Death Mod only there wasn't a switch to turn it on or off (there is the pot to control it though) and thought that would be great.

dano12

if you get a chance, try the big phatty mod. I liked that one a lot.

caress

the fuzz factory does not have a feedback control implemented in the same way.

although, if you use a 1M pot for the feedback control, you may not have any interaction when turned all the way down.  maybe a teeny bit...

ambulancevoice

Quote from: jimbob on July 01, 2008, 06:20:13 PM
I noticed that the Fuzz Factory does this same thing only no switch.

if you mean the STAB knob, then thats a totally different thing
the stab pot is just a dying battery simulator (also on beavis), which effects the transistors bias making them oscillate and stuff
the reason it "turns off" is because at a certain position (either at min or max rotation i cant remember), the transistors are biased properly at this point eliminating the noise and oscillation
the feedback pot is not the same thing, though it produces the same result, and does require a switch to turn it completely off
one thing you could try though is running pin 3 to ground dumping the signal that is feeding back to ground when the pot is maxed
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

nelson

Using a simple mosfet noise gate would do. When the feedback gets turned down below a certain level the gate would cut the feedback signal.

;D
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

earthtonesaudio

Or a huge value pot.  Like 10 or 20 Meg.  If 1M doesn't do it, that is.  And/or you could make the cap smaller.  Use that Xc=1/(2*pi*f*C) formula.

Solidhex

Watch out, although its not visible from the angle in the pic that switch pot is a pc mounted one. No solder lugs. I have one gathering dust...
I'd recommend this one for the flaming howl of death mod... (in whatever pot value you like the most)

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&Ntt=*3131100F*&Ne=688665&N=4294649110+1323038&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Ns=P_SField&OriginalKeyword=313-1100F-&Ntk=Mouser_Wildcards

caress

Quote from: Solidhex on July 08, 2008, 05:25:49 AM
Watch out, although its not visible from the angle in the pic that switch pot is a pc mounted one. No solder lugs. I have one gathering dust...
I'd recommend this one for the flaming howl of death mod... (in whatever pot value you like the most)

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?FS=TRUE&Ntt=*3131100F*&Ne=688665&N=4294649110+1323038&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Ns=P_SField&OriginalKeyword=313-1100F-&Ntk=Mouser_Wildcards

if you're not confident soldering directly to the pcb mounts, you can always mount the pot in a small piece of perf, then solder your wires to that...