do the GGG IC buffers effect tone?

Started by sjaltenb, July 01, 2008, 08:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

If im using these buffers in my cornish board....would it be bad if the singal goes through 3-4 of them even if all effects are off? Or should i have the buffers in the actual S/R of the effect so it only goes thorugh the buffer to go to the effect.

THanks!

ianmgull

I can't say how it would sound going through 3 or 4 but I do know one sounds pretty good. The highs tend to remain in tact more. You'll have a bit more presence.

petemoore

If im using these buffers in my cornish board....would it be bad if the singal goes through 3-4 of them even if all effects are off? Or should i have the buffers in the actual S/R of the effect so it only goes thorugh the buffer to go to the effect.
  I think that'd be easier to find out than figure out, cable around whatever and A/B test.
  Just built a looper pedal, and hafta say the switch makes it easy to compare: 2x10' cables, 4 plugs/jacks, + 1 switch to: the whole lot more jacks, cables, plugs, switches I have going on otherwise. I was surprized when I didn't notice any loading through the 9 true bypassed pedals.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

JHS

Nearly every simple buffer alters the original tone a bit and steel some volume, IMHO that's acceptable for guitar use but not for Hifi apps.. Cascading buffers will weaken the signal, maybe to much and even more if the impedances are not perfectly matched.

I read that the bypasssignal in a Cornish boards is send to 1 adjustable buffer/linedriver and not through all the buffered loops and this make sence since the loops are programable.

JHS