Tube pre transformers hookup question

Started by Morocotopo, July 04, 2008, 10:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morocotopo

Hi people, I´m trying to get my JCM 800 based tube preamp to work without hum. Here´s the schem:

I´ve tried many things, and now I´m having doubts with the transformers. Does it matter wich end of the respective primaries/secondaries I connect with each other? I mean, since the trafos put out AC, it shouldn´t matter, right? or not? Do transformers have a right/wrong way of hooking them up in this regard? Also, since the AC put out by each one is rectified to DC, that´s another reason for not worrying at this, right? Also, since I have two transformers, the word "humbucking" came to my mind. not that I have any idea of how to implement this...or if possible at all.
Now, the bridge rectifiers are on the same PCB as the rest of the circuit and the trafos are inside the same case as the PCB. As a last resort I plant to move the trafos, rectifiers, ps caps and 12V regulator to another case. I would move the red enclosed portion of the circuit, and link to the pre case with a 3 conductor cable carrying B+, 12V and ground. Do you think that could be a viable alternative?

Thanks for reading

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

Morocotopo

Oh. I forgot, I´m also having doubts about the PCB design, maybe it has ground loops in it. If anyone cares to take a look:
http://www.4shared.com/file/37648918/e4ae54d6/pre_jcm800_por_gak_2_1_.html
This was originally posted here in this thread:
http://diyers.forogratis.es/foro/viewtopic.php?t=23
Argentinian DIY forum

Thanks

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

petemoore

I´ve tried many things, and now I´m having doubts with the transformers. Does it matter wich end of the respective primaries/secondaries I connect with each other? I mean, since the trafos put out AC, it shouldn´t matter, right? or not?
  Doesn't matter, the diode bridge/filters turn all that into DC anyway, all it needs is for AC to be present at the primary.
  Do transformers have a right/wrong way of hooking them up in this regard? Also, since the AC put out by each one is rectified to DC, that´s another reason for not worrying at this, right? Also, since I have two transformers, the word "humbucking" came to my mind. not that I have any idea of how to implement this...or if possible at all.
Now, the bridge rectifiers are on the same PCB as the rest of the circuit and the trafos are inside the same case as the PCB. As a last resort I plant to move the trafos, rectifiers, ps caps and 12V regulator to another case. I would move the red enclosed portion of the circuit, and link to the pre case with a 3 conductor cable carrying B+, 12V and ground. Do you think that could be a viable alternative?
  Not sure what you have there. Getting the noise to 'a' level is a trick that doesn't learn easy, getting the amp to show you the layout, so to speak...for a one-off prototype, noise rejection can be a mad or somewhat angry bear.
  Basically [and that's about all I'm going to be good for] it's a matter of keeping separate those things which interact and noise rejection results, sounds simple anyway.
  Transformers emit 'noise', inputs amplify whatever they source.
  IIRC there was a thread you probably got the "duplicate-inverse-transformer" supply schematic from, I forget what the problems or workarounds were, vaguely remember there was an 'ab-gnone' [glitch] with the approach.
  Starting with fixed locations and orientations with the PS transformers [and any other noise injection suspects] probably isn't a good approach for a prototype.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.