Eagle board layout quickhelp

Started by mnordbye, July 06, 2008, 04:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnordbye

I'm just finished with my first layout done from schem to board in Eagle

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/mnordbye/Fuzz.bmp.html

Does this seem okay? I find Eagle to be quite hard to learn, but it's getting better and better. :)

Also, any things i have to do when i'm done? And how do i export it to a Eagle or a Gerber file? (Gonna send an order to a PCB making shop soon)

Thanks,
Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

railhead

First off, your traces aren't complete. The thin lines designate unrouted connections.

Second, you have parts outside the board dimension area.

Third, when you're ready, you can do the Gerber export by following my tutorial, here:

Generate Gerber274x Files From Eagle CAD

mnordbye

Sorry, uploaded the old file. Here's the newest and finished:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/mnordbye/Fuzz.bmp.html

How does that look?

I'll take a look at the gerber export article of yours, but do you know how to export to .brd too? The eagle file type.

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

mnordbye

Succesfully exported the board with your Gerber method. A thousand thanks to thee! :)

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

alanlan

Quote from: railhead on July 06, 2008, 07:19:26 PM
First off, your traces aren't complete. The thin lines designate unrouted connections.

Second, you have parts outside the board dimension area.

Third, when you're ready, you can do the Gerber export by following my tutorial, here:

Generate Gerber274x Files From Eagle CAD

I found this useful too - many thanks!

railhead

Glad I could help.

If your boardhouse accepts Eagle BRD files, there's noting to export -- you just send them the BRD file.

railhead

The cap in the upper left has its silkscreen outside the dimension area. You need to fix that.

mnordbye

Yeah, but i'm not going to get it silkscreened... Or is that something that i have to do?

I didn't find my .brd file. Maybe i'm just tired. :P

Thanks for the help!

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

Solidhex

Hey Railhead..

How do you select only the part outlines and numbers on the silkscreen to be included on the gerber file? I'm getting ready to dig into your tutorial. I've used Olimex a couple time but they're closed till September so I want to try Golden Phoenix. Gerber time....

--Brad

railhead

Just make sure the outlines and text you want is on layer 21.

Solidhex

Quote from: railhead on August 06, 2008, 07:39:12 AM
Just make sure the outlines and text you want is on layer 21.

Right now the only thing on layer 21 is the component outlines. How do I transfer stuff from other layers like the Tnames on layer 25 onto layer 21?

--Brad

railhead

You just use the CHange Layer tool and click on the item you want to move. You have to make sure the origin layer is visible, too.

Solidhex

Ah I did it! So you use the smash tool to free the component name then click on change then select layer, have 21 selected then click on the little "plus" sign next adjacent to the component name and viola its now on the silkscreen layer. Thanks man.

Brad

Solidhex

Yo

Still not having much success with the Gerber process. I tried installing your gerber cam file Railhead but wasn't able to get it to work. Are you using a PC? I'm on a Mac.
  I went through the steps and generated the files but when looking at them on the gerber viewer at http://www.gerber-viewer.com/default.aspx some of the files are mirrored the wrong way. The cmp ,pic, and stc files look as they should. The same view you see when doing the layout. The sol and sts files are flipped like you were looking at the bottom of the board. Any ideas on what I might have done wrong?

--Brad

railhead

I'd have to look at your files, as my CAM works 100% as it should. Sounds like you have your layers bassackwards or something.

Solidhex

Ah

I see you are using a mac. I think you have the newer version of Eagle. The windows look different on mine. Gaussmarkov had told me there were some problems with the new one so I've been sticking with the old one.
  I regenerated the cam files for my project and specified the "mirror" option for the sts and sol files and they look fine now. I'm guessing the mirroring just helps with viewing the files and doesn't affect their actual orientation?

--Brad