Switch question SPST - on/on

Started by stumper1, July 10, 2008, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper1

I'm looking at a Mouser catalog and have a (most likely stupid) question...

When looking at the switch descriptions, I see on/on or on/off or on/off/on etc. That makes sense to me. But, what about on/(on)  or on/(on)/on ?

Thanks
Deric®

R.G.

Anything in parenthesis is momentary. Non-parenthesis is a stable non-momentary position.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

One of the reasons why, if you're shopping in a place that has switches in bins, it pays to actualy pick one up and click it.  I've been surprised sometimes to find toggle switches that look like just what I needed, based on the number of pins, for a great price, and then I find out that either the center or side positions are momentary.  So, it may be the case that the middle position stays and you can either set it to one or the other side position for as long as you hold it, or perhaps the middle position is the temporary one.  There are all sorts of configurations available.

Don't forget to include on/both/on.  Let's say we have 6 contacts arranged as so:
A  -  B  -  C
D  -  E  -  F

B and E can both be described as "common".  Toggled to one side, the switch makes connections between A-B and D-E.  Set to the complete other side, the connections are now to B-C and E-F.  In the middle position, however, the switch might do A-B and E-F, leaving D and C not connected to anything.  This is a nice flexible switch, because it can be used in a variety of ways.

And of course, somewhere out there is bound to be an on/(both)/on. :icon_lol:

stumper1

QuoteAnything in parenthesis is momentary

That was my hunch.  Thank for the replies! 8)
Deric®

raycroft

also, check ebay for cheap (inexpensive) switches, 1/4 price.  I can't be paying $5 for a toggle switch.  There is a hobby train place that's got em good and cheap.  FYI
Master Learner

fryguy

Quote from: raycroft on July 13, 2008, 10:34:39 PM
also, check ebay for cheap (inexpensive) switches, 1/4 price.  I can't be paying $5 for a toggle switch.  There is a hobby train place that's got em good and cheap.  FYI

After reading your post I was curious so I checked ebay and was surprised to find the same 3PDT switches that smallbear sells for over $6 cheaper after shipping. That's just a heck of a deal.