Fuzzrite voltages seems strange to me

Started by gigimarga, July 11, 2008, 12:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigimarga

Hello,

I'd built the last night, for a friend, a Mosrite Fuzzrite using the schematic (and PCB) from FuzzCentral (thx Phillip Bryant!) : http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/fuzzriteschem.gif.

I used two 2N2222 with the hFE about 160 (as i saw in a Dragonfly's post) and pots of 470K/47K instead of 350K/33K.

It sounds OK i think (i'd never heard an original one), but when i measured the voltages (using a 9.4V battery) i found both collectors at 0.57V, both bases at 0.51V and the emitters, of course, at 0V.
Are these values right or i must to bias the trannies at 4.5V,  like in a Fuzz Face?

Thx a lot!

Sir H C

Sounds a bit low, would think closer to .7 volts, but ballpark as the voltage across the base - collector resistor should be 1/160th of that across the collector - V+ resistor, so you get about the base-emitter diode voltage on the collector.  Usually this is in the .7 volt range, but with such a low collector current, .51 is equally probable.

gigimarga

Thx for your answers!

I will search for a soundclip to compare with mine and after that i will try or not to increase the collector's voltages...

GREEN FUZ

Not sure if this is any use to you as I purposely misbiased my circuit in an attempt to cop the tone of this soundtrack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YswkF-d2VZ8
Supposedly a lot of the early Fuzzrite`s weren`t biased very accurately which could account for the sound I was aiming for. What do I know except that it sounds great to me.

I think I got it fairly close.

For the record: My voltages.

Battery = 8.20v

Q1 2N3904 C = 2.44v                  Q2 2N3904 C = 6.86v
                 B = 0.64v                                   B = 0.56v
                 E = 0.0v                                     E = 0.0v

gigimarga

Thx a lot GREEN FUZ!

Your collectors' voltages seems very strange to me...mine are equal and more lower...i will check all!

nico13

Hello Gigimarga,

I also built a silicon fuzzrite yerterday using the same schematic as you and BC107A transistor and I've got the same problem

Quotei found both collectors at 0.57V, both bases at 0.51V and the emitters, of course, at 0V.

and I found the effected sound very low.

Nico

gigimarga

At last, i like it as it is...any suggestion is welcomed!

nico13

Well I used this layout:

And I checked my build: everything was OK except a shortcut between rows 2 and 3.

I used 2N2222 transistors (with hfe about 170) and now I've got a good wild fuzz!

Here are my voltages for the transistors with an input voltage of 9V (regulated power supply):
Q1: C=0.59 / B=0.53 / E=0
Q2: C=0.60 / B=0.53 / E=0

Marc.yo

Quote from: nico13 on November 28, 2008, 05:21:57 PM
Well I used this layout:

And I checked my build: everything was OK except a shortcut between rows 2 and 3.

I used 2N2222 transistors (with hfe about 170) and now I've got a good wild fuzz!

Here are my voltages for the transistors with an input voltage of 9V (regulated power supply):
Q1: C=0.59 / B=0.53 / E=0
Q2: C=0.60 / B=0.53 / E=0

nice layout btw

nico13

Thanks Marc,

I tried to keep the symetry of the schematic.

This layout is verified.