Simple Question about Tremolo

Started by juancra, July 14, 2008, 02:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juancra

Hi all!

Searching in old Elektor magazines, i've found a tremolo application where a function generator IC (xr2206) is used to modulate through a sine wave an audio IC (TCA730) which has volume and balance output controlled by a pin. Looking at the datasheet of the XR2206 , I saw that it is capable of generating many types of waveforms , such as ramp, square, etc. My question is, what would happen if the audio IC is modulated with other waveform rather than sine wave?

IF anyone is interested in the article I can send it, i have the spanish translation.

Thanks in advance!

The Tone God

It changes the characteristics of the volume change. A sine makes for a nice smooth sound, triangle is alittle more aggressive, and the square will be hard on/off choppy. Note that the 2206 outputs are not all at the same level and sometimes requires signal conditioning.

Andrew

Mark Hammer

Many different commercial and DIY tremolos have a choice of waveform, including square, triangle, and others.  Usually, those sweep LFOs that have the gentlest "turnaround" are the ones that are the least distracting and can be left on all the time (for a song, at least).  More pronounced turnaround, using triangle or quare is also quite musically valid, but IMHO is usually the sort of thing one leaves on for only short periods of time or for special effects.

As Andrew quite rightly points out, it is often the case in LFOs, whether 2206-based or other, that each waveform output has the identical amplitude and zero-point.  Attenuation and bias adjustment are often required to achieve "waveform-equivalence".

juancra

Now I understand... The effect achieved is like the Pulsar has built in! thanks a lot!