The final clipping diode threat?

Started by stefcuypers, July 16, 2008, 04:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefcuypers

Hellow, I got the idea of making a "pedal" next to my breadboard with many (48) different clipping diode configurations. Please reply you're favourite clipping diode configuration. Thanks!

MikeH

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

stefcuypers

Non specific. It's gone be a box with three 12 rotary switches with diffrent clipping diodes configuration. Easy for testing possibilities while breadboarding.

Mark Hammer

Mike asks the right question.  The value/impact of any given diode combination is a function of the circuit it is nested in.

Keep in mind that diode combinations set absolute thresholds, and that signals cross those thresholds in relation to how high the threshold is and the amplitude of the signal.  A back to back pair can sound identical to a 4+4 combination, and a 2+1 can sound identical to a 6+3, if situated in the right circuit and fed the right input.

petemoore

Symmetric / Assymetric / and higher threshold Assymetric can be done pretty easily with 1 switch.
  Further experimentation with 'snap change' sampling [flip switch] is easily fascilitated by socketing one or two of the clipping diode configuration positions..pick the best of the first three, and hardwire it, try other configurations in the two sockets.
  I narrowed it down to:
  Ge's are too low for enough output in my Dist+
  Assymetric 'SI>SI> and <SI' chosen, hit the circuit with preboost and it's again hardclipping similar to Ge's, but with adequate output levels.
  Low output to not enough clipping are the 'parameters' I wanted to stay within, beyond that I make the fixed threshold seem adjustable by preboosting and using the gain knob...this lets the choices become more a choice of Symmetric clipping or not, and makes for a second, adjustable 'higher gain/harder clipping' selection.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MikeH

What you may consider;

One rotary switch controls one side of the clipping, and another controls the other, to allow 12 kinds of symetrical or 132 slightly asymetcical clipping.  Then the third rotary can switch in another diode on one side for 2:1 asymetrical clipping.  If my math is right that makes for 1,728 possible combinations, right?  12x12x12? Something like that...

edit:  more like 12x12x11, becasue the 3rd rotary has to have a jumper in one slot so you can do 1:1 clipping.

stefcuypers

Thanks for the reply! It's not really a problem that some diode configurations sounds the same or not good on a specific circuit. I think of it as a fast way for testing diffrent clipping diodes in a circuit. With 48 possibilities there must be some difference ....

stefcuypers

Nice to read you're method petemoore end thanks MarkH for your suggestion! Love the idea of a rotary switch for one side of the clipping! Wich diodes should be absolutely there. Offcourse, 1n4148, 1n4001, 1n34a, bat 41, red LED, green LED, yellow LED, 1n914, ...

snap

andrew_k

Gus

The best thing to do is built it and not ask.  It is simple to build and if you ask and get answers about how it sounds you might trick yourself as to what you hear because of that information.

Try shunt and feedback clipping(inverting and noninverting)

Some of use have done things like this years ago but it is good to do to teach your ear brain the changes.

stefcuypers

I wish i could test them GUS, it's indeed the best way to learn but I have to order the diodes so wanted to check everything before ordering and had the chance of missing a few.
So far,

Mosfet: 1n4148, 1n4001
Schotty: 1n5817
Germanium: 1n34a,1n60, 1n270
Transistor: IRF 540, 2n5458, bs170
Led: 5mm red low current LED

Have place on the rotary switch for 2 more ...

petemoore

Get your DMM on the configs., measure the FT's.
  Try barely symmetric, assymetric, really assymetric back to back configurations.

stefcuypers

petemoore what do you mean with :

Try shunt and feedback clipping(inverting and noninverting)

Try barely symmetric, assymetric, really assymetric back to back configurations.

petemoore

Measure the Foreward threshold of
  Ge
  Ge>Si>
  Si>Si
  Hear how higher thresholds yield more output, and what symmetry/assymetry sounds like.

MikeH

One of my favorites is a schottky MOSFET combo used in the shakka.  Although I've only tried it in a tube screamer.

WGTP

LED/GE is an interesting combo.   :icon_cool:

Also Mosfets.  http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/WGTP/Mosfet_Switching.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Either the body diode or the Mosfet can be used for clipping.  2N7000 seems to clip at under 2v while the BS170 is slightly over.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames