Thanks to P. Marossy, R.G. And Alex for protoboard ideas. (Your pictures ?)

Started by frank_p, July 17, 2008, 11:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Quote from: tehfunk on March 27, 2009, 12:34:49 AM
I have two of those stand up things that wires are inserted into on my breadboard, but I don't get how to use them. What do i do with them/what are they best used for?? Thanks.

Mine are +v, ground, input and output. Also handy for hooking croc clips onto. Or resting a DDM ground to while testing voltages.

My breadboard looks really small. I don't know how I manage. I need to seriously upgrade!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

bean

QuoteWhat's the angled bracket on the right hand side of the board for?

I was going to mount a Ruby in a coffee can there, but never got around to it.

solderman

Quote from: frank_p on July 18, 2008, 05:53:06 PM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on July 18, 2008, 05:34:07 PM
I need to use my prototyping board more.  :icon_redface:

Well it's normal in that case :
"Hi. My Name is Paul. I am a recovered stompboxaholic."
:D

LOL. Tnx for the new word . Mind if i tweak it to Stompoholic  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Symptoms:
Compulsive attraction to obsolete electronic components.
Obsessive need to read and act upon schematics referring to influencing of audiobly experience equipment.
Pathological need to develop pedriasticly maneuvered electronic circuts.   

Diagnose:
Stompoholic

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

JFX09

Happiness is a effin' hot soldering iron

Thomeeque

Quote from: JFX09 on March 27, 2009, 09:17:37 AM
repost for Thomeeque

Thanks, beautiful one!!  :)

Quote from: JFX09 on March 27, 2009, 09:17:37 AM
How do you edit posts?

You can edit only fresh posts, like up to 15 minutes after post or something like that (I'm not sure if it's only time limited or there are other rules involved)
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

JFX09

Thanks! figured if i'm going to sweat over it, might as well be pretty :)
Happiness is a effin' hot soldering iron

waky

Completed: Ruby, Noisy cricket, Marshall Bluesbreaker, Jawari & 3-legged dog

iaresee

Quote from: tehfunk on March 27, 2009, 12:34:49 AM
I have two of those stand up things that wires are inserted into on my breadboard, but I don't get how to use them. What do i do with them/what are they best used for?? Thanks.

I use mine much like frankp said: my scope has banana probe ends that plug right into the banana socket. Particularly handy for setting common ground. I'll sometimes probe with a piece of wire too. And for longer probing sessions it's a little more durable than a clipped on probe.

frequencycentral

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 27, 2009, 03:32:02 AM
My breadboard looks really small. I don't know how I manage. I need to seriously upgrade!

Yay, this thread popping up again just made me go out and quadruple the size of my breadboarding facility. Now I can spread out a little. I'll post pics once I finalise it's layout. I still have to figure out the best way to mount pots. There are lots of good ideas on this thread.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

frank_p

bobp1339

Well, nothing too fancy at all, but it seems everytime I think about buying new breadboard, I have just spent money on switches, pots and enclosures....  ::)

BobP
"I love the smell of solder in the morning..."

...Bazz Fuss, EA Trem, Ross Comp, MXR Env Filter, Orange Squeezer, custom bass preamp...
http://chindigband.com

Joe Stone

Loved this idea and finally built one of these puppies... my brother was on a "newly-aquired-camera/must-video-record-everything" spree. haha...

arbiter fuzz face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PczY-g5cMCI

Paul Marossy

About 6 months ago I was hired to reverse engineer a six layered PCB circuit and then breadboard it, which required me to build a bigger & badder breadboard which is about 9"x8". The cool thing is that all these breadboards were given to me around 2002, I didn't have to pay a penny for them.  :icon_razz:

bean

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 18, 2010, 11:22:22 AM
About 6 months ago I was hired to reverse engineer a six layered PCB circuit and then breadboard it, which required me to build a bigger & badder breadboard which is about 9"x8". The cool thing is that all these breadboards were given to me around 2002, I didn't have to pay a penny for them.  :icon_razz:

Holy mother of god, how do you trace six layers? I would sooner swallow a bottle of iodine.

Anyway, excellent proto board.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: bean on February 18, 2010, 12:49:09 PM
Holy mother of god, how do you trace six layers? I would sooner swallow a bottle of iodine.

Anyway, excellent proto board.

I had some help, a software file that showed each layer. Even with that, it was making me crazy. It took me about eight hours to come up with a schematic, and then a few more hours to breadboard it to verify if schematic was correct. I got 99% of right on the first try. It was a pain in the rear, though.

The only thing I can compare it to was as-builting some HVAC ducts installed in an existing 18,000 sq ft house I was supposed to draw up plans for. I was literally out there for days trying to figure out where all these ducts went from fifteen different AC units. It was like trying to see where the beginning and end of each noodle was in a bowl of spaghetti without moving anything. At least figuring out this PCB wasn't a week long effort at the jobsite like that was.

frank_p

Bump.

Quote from: Jdansti on May 31, 2012, 01:04:44 AM
Very nice Jon!

Well here's my contribution to moving this thread closure to dooms day. I've been chasing wires, pots and switches too long. I decided to permanently install my breadboard in a small rig that has power and places for pots and switches. I made the "pot holders" so that I can slip them the pots into place and tighten the nut without having to remove the nut and washer. I mounted a ground bus that runs along two sides. The power supply jack automatically disengages the battery as in a pedal. There's a separate on/off switch and LED power indicator. I mounted a DPDT switch that I can attach to with alligator clips. I still want to install a fuse holder to protect against shorts.

The wood work is pretty sloppy, but the utility is good. I started off with two slide switches I had laying around for the power and spare switch. I decided to hot glue them in place since I didn't have any teensy screws. I learned that hot glue and slide switches are a bad combination. I didn't notice the glue going inside the switches and they ended up being glued into one position. I had to use my heat gun to unglue them from the wood and chunk them.   :(

Here're some photos:

Jdansti

Gee, after going to the beginning of this thread and looking at all of the cool proto boards, I feel like a guy who showed up at the Waldorf with all of his clothes in a Wal Mart bag.  :-\   No problem.  As Stuart Smalley says, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gonnit, people like me..." :P
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...