Thanks to P. Marossy, R.G. And Alex for protoboard ideas. (Your pictures ?)

Started by frank_p, July 17, 2008, 11:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Jdansti

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 31, 2012, 10:05:23 AM
It doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to work.  :icon_wink:

Thanks Paul.  :).  I was joking a little. I've put the knife down. :o I'm more of a function over form guy.

I like the idea of using a metal plate to hold the pots.  I might redo it using metal sides and keep the drop-in feature. I like being able to swap the pots out because there are an (almost) infinite number of pot combinations for the various pedals I might build. I also have an adjustable PS I built for a pedal but never used. I might install that too along with a gutted cheapo DVM to display the voltage.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Paul Marossy

Lowes sells 1" angle aluminum that you could use for holding pots. It works very well and it's quite easy to work with.

As in what I used here. You could cut slots into it allow for quicker removal of the pots.

earthtonesaudio

When (if?) I redo mine I'll get rid of the panel mount pots in favor of trimpots mounted right on the breadboard.  All those wires get on my nerves.

frank_p

Quote from: Jdansti on May 31, 2012, 02:38:51 AM
Gee, after going to the beginning of this thread and looking at all of the cool proto boards, I feel like a guy who showed up at the Waldorf with all of his clothes in a Wal Mart bag.  :-\   No problem.  As Stuart Smalley says, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gonnit, people like me..." :P

No, no.  Homemade wood tools are always charming.

electrosonic

My Beavis inspired breakout box - not true bypass, I made a 4053 buffered bypass board that sits in a 1590BB.

Andrew.

• SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 31, 2012, 12:11:45 PM
Lowes sells 1" angle aluminum that you could use for holding pots. It works very well and it's quite easy to work with.

As in what I used here. You could cut slots into it allow for quicker removal of the pots.

Thanks for the tip, Paul.  I'll definitely keep that I'm mind. As for now, I found a nice flat sheet of galvanized steel out in the garage this evening and fashioned a replacement pot holder. It also gave me a chance to see how well my new jigsaw cuts metal. Worked like a champ. I like the metal better than wood for the pots because it's thinner. I had to recess the slots in the wooden version and my wood working skills aren't that great down on a fine level. Here's the mo-better version:

BTW, that's an awesome proto board you've got there. Is that for work or play? :)
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: frank_p on May 31, 2012, 12:56:30 PM
Quote from: Jdansti on May 31, 2012, 02:38:51 AM
Gee, after going to the beginning of this thread and looking at all of the cool proto boards, I feel like a guy who showed up at the Waldorf with all of his clothes in a Wal Mart bag.  :-\   No problem.  As Stuart Smalley says, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gonnit, people like me..." :P

No, no.  Homemade wood tools are always charming.

Thanks Frank.  I agree on the wood. I also like it because its nonconductive, which helps when you're working with a bunch of wires. My brother not only does some nice woodwork, but he uses some wooden tools when doing it. As for the pots, I think the metal works better just because it is thinner and I can work with it better. I left the rest as wood, so I guess it's somewhat of a hybrid.

• SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: electrosonic on May 31, 2012, 03:02:21 PM
My Beavis inspired breakout box - not true bypass, I made a 4053 buffered bypass board that sits in a 1590BB.

Andrew.

Andrew,

I REALLY like those three terminal screw connectors you're using on the pots!  I was going to use alli-clips, but I like the terminals much better. I know what I'll be ordering next!  I'll just need to make sure I only order PCB mount pots. A grown man shouldn't get so excited about proto boards and screw terminals! ;D
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

That proto board was for work a couple of years ago but now it's for play mostly.

frank_p

Quote from: Paul Marossy on May 31, 2012, 11:32:28 PM
That proto board was for work a couple of years ago but now it's for play mostly.

I bet you like it like this.   :D