News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tube Phaser

Started by frequencycentral, July 19, 2008, 07:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Anyone care to suggest resistor and capacitor values for this?

I found it here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=32911.0
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

asfastasdark

Tube phaser! Awesome! This is gonna be my next build  ;D! But yeah, I'm not that experienced that I can just get resistor/cap values... someone figure them out please!  :P

Well, I guess R3 is some input resistor... I don't know.

mac

I recently experimented with fets for a phaser. I guess that fets could easily be replaced in my design with low voltage tubes since tubes and fets share almost the same topology. I do not know what tubes can add to the sound, but worth the try.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

The Tone God

I have played tube based phasers both low and high voltage and quite frankly they are nothing I would write home about. The low voltage versions add nothing special and take more power for the filaments which is just wasteful. The high voltage ones do not really bring that classic thought of "warmth" to the phase sound.

Overall if you are expecting something extra to come out by using tube don't have your hopes up but if you want people to oh and ah then knock yourself out.

Andrew

mac

I guess that is because tubes are used as signal splitters, working at unity gain, so no mojo adds to the sound.
The deepness, warmth, etc, is more likely to be a consequence of design than tubes or transistors.

mac

frank_p

What I guess is that tubes have "their own behaviour" but transfered.
If you can do it with low voltage components: all right !
But: can you tell what tubes will bring you ( I did not say nothing; and I have a friend who is on that "thung"),
However, if you're not experienced, how can you tell...
Go ahead with low voltage components: what will you loose...
Nothing: you will gain comprehension and not electrocution.
(I am not experienced)

Hi Mac.
Guess you dug it...

FHP

signalpaths

Do they sound a lot different than say a phase 45 or 90???

Cause that schematic looks a lot smaller that any phaser that I've ever seen.

frank_p

Quote from: frequencycentral on July 19, 2008, 07:07:46 PM
Anyone care to suggest resistor and capacitor values for this?

P.T. ?

mac

Hi Frank,
No, to be honest I had my doubts, and after reading Andrew post I´m not going to play with it :D
Also I´m not experienced with tubes.

mac

Renegadrian

Rick, it seems you're a lot into tubes...I am happy you got this obsession!!!  :icon_lol:
I guess it's time for breadboards...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

frank_p

Quote from: mac on July 21, 2008, 01:52:25 AM
Hi Frank,
No, to be honest I had my doubts, and after reading Andrew post I´m not going to play with it :D
Also I´m not experienced with tubes.

mac

Thanka Mac,
I am not experienced with tubes ...
(AMEN )
(BUDDHA)
(ALLHA)
And go see... ( no one will be ) to pLay with tubes.
Yur emtering the : "take it for yourself" zone...

Havw fun !
But think about it...

DougH

Tubes aren't going to make a significant difference (if at all) in the sound of an allpass filter stage. They would probably make more difference if used as a control element. That's not because it's going to give you "tube sound" (whatever that is :icon_rolleyes:) but because it's yet another control method a la FETs, optical, etc...

Just looks like a big waste of power to me. My, how un-environmentally correct... :icon_mrgreen:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

StephenGiles

Yeah, but great to attract the girls...........come up and listen to my tube phaser!! :icon_lol:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

dschwartz

Quote from: The Tone God on July 20, 2008, 06:51:05 PM

Overall if you are expecting something extra to come out by using tube don't have your hopes up but if you want people to oh and ah then knock yourself out.

Andrew

couldn´t agree more..
Some people have to control their "mojo impulses", i think you know how many people asks me if i build tube based effects, without caring if it sounds like crap..once a guy asked me if i could make a tube delay!!!!!
i told him..ok, for 25 million dollars i´ll do it, like 4 eniacs in a row, and using all the tubes supply available in the world now..ah.. and a power plant!.

i really dislike that "if it has a tube inside, then sounds great" mentality, i have heard awful, terrible things with tubes inside..just snake oil to me..
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Mark Hammer

Quote from: StephenGiles on July 21, 2008, 09:40:17 AM
Yeah, but great to attract the girls...........come up and listen to my tube phaser!! :icon_lol:
My goodness yes.  My wife worries if I leave the house "for parts unknown" with a 10-lb tube phaser in tow.  She knows it for the babe magnet that it is. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_mrgreen:

dschwartz

well, i don´t know from which planet are those girls interesed in gear..
cause where i live, babes don´t have a clue of what a "pedal" is..

if you are interested to atract nerdy guitar geeks, maybe that´s a good build..
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

DougH

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 21, 2008, 01:22:21 PM
Quote from: StephenGiles on July 21, 2008, 09:40:17 AM
My goodness yes.  My wife worries if I leave the house "for parts unknown" with a 10-lb tube phaser in tow.  She knows it for the babe magnet that it is. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_mrgreen:

Just last week my wife asked me, "Is that a 10lb tube phaser in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Sorry... Couldn't resist... :icon_mrgreen:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Mark Hammer

Um, I'm not sure women cleave towards men whose pants have pockets that can carry 10 pounds of anything. :icon_lol:

petemoore

We used to ask the bowling alley guy [phone prank] "Do you have 16 pound Balls?
  So design in some tube distortion?
  Just kidding>long way around I think.
  Perhaps boost input signal levels to the point at which tubes [even splitters or cathode followers] would distort some...then reduce it again at the end of the circuit [for 'normal' signal level output.
  Crazy idea ? ...longway a round I think.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

frank_p

Quote from: dschwartz on July 21, 2008, 02:45:50 PM
well, i don´t know from which planet are those girls interesed in gear..
cause where i live, babes don´t have a clue of what a "pedal" is..

if you are interested to atract nerdy guitar geeks, maybe that´s a good build..

ToneGod: Andrew-Jessica
Girl that like pedals -or- nerdy guitar geek -or- split personality
???
I am all phased out...

Girls that speak french know what is a "pédale" for sure: it's an homosexual.
They have no chance with "pedals".  :icon_mrgreen:

Is Angela is really a girl ? :
http://www.angela.com/catalog/tubes/Guitar_Tubes.html

Maybe we could ask her her point of view...