News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tube Phaser

Started by frequencycentral, July 19, 2008, 07:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

QuoteYeah, but great to attract the girls...........come up and listen to my tube phaser!!

I knew tube phasers have a some mojo!!! Now I'm going to experiment with this!!!

Quotewell, i don´t know from which planet are those girls interesed in gear..
cause where i live, babes don´t have a clue of what a "pedal" is..

A long time ago I was talking to a barby girl. I told her I play electric guitar. She said "do you have to plug it to the 220V outlet?"

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

DougH

QuoteA long time ago I was talking to a barby girl. I told her I play electric guitar. She said "do you have to plug it to the 220V outlet?"

"Yeah, it's not for everyone but I just gotta rock, ya know??"
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

dschwartz

Quote from: DougH on July 22, 2008, 07:08:21 AM
QuoteA long time ago I was talking to a barby girl. I told her I play electric guitar. She said "do you have to plug it to the 220V outlet?"

"Yeah, it's not for everyone but I just gotta rock, ya know??"

HAHAHAHAHA gud 'un!!!
i wish i had that kind of answers when i was younger and hornier..I´d just responded "JHHAHAAHHA, no, stupid bimbo!!"..what a mean smartass i was...well..AM...
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

DougH

Hey, I wish I had those answers when I was younger too. Lord have mercy, if I had known then what I know now... Youth is wasted on the young, bwahahaha!  :icon_mrgreen:

mac

QuoteHey, I wish I had those answers when I was younger too. Lord have mercy, if I had known then what I know now... Youth is wasted on the young, bwahahaha! 

Well, my father told me when I was a kid what to do when you are with blonde barby girl that talks and talks and talks... :
kiss her! she can get angry, hit you and leave you alone,  or you can end the night sleeping with her. In any case, she will not talk anymore... until the morning in case 2.

mac

frank_p

Quote from: mac on July 23, 2008, 12:35:57 AM
QuoteHey, I wish I had those answers when I was younger too. Lord have mercy, if I had known then what I know now... Youth is wasted on the young, bwahahaha! 

Well, my father told me when I was a kid what to do when you are with blonde barby girl that talks and talks and talks... :
kiss her! she can get angry, hit you and leave you alone,  or you can end the night sleeping with her. In any case, she will not talk anymore... until the morning in case 2.

mac

For how long it went like this Marcel ?
I suppose also that the longer it last, the more it's hurting at the end  ??? ;D .

mac

I jumped from bed to bed all my life Frank! My mother gave up asking... begging me to find a girl and settle down. (Sounds like Cat Stevens)

Weren't we talking about tube phasers?

mac

frequencycentral

Quote from: signalpaths on July 21, 2008, 01:06:54 AM
Do they sound a lot different than say a phase 45 or 90???

Cause that schematic looks a lot smaller that any phaser that I've ever seen.

The schematic is for just one stage. You would need a few!

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

frequencycentral

Quote from: The Tone God on July 20, 2008, 06:51:05 PM
I have played tube based phasers both low and high voltage and quite frankly they are nothing I would write home about.

Andrew, can you give us any schematics for what you played about with?

Quote from: The Tone God on July 20, 2008, 06:51:05 PM
The low voltage versions add nothing special and take more power for the filaments which is just wasteful. The high voltage ones do not really bring that classic thought of "warmth" to the phase sound.

Overall if you are expecting something extra to come out by using tube don't have your hopes up but if you want people to oh and ah then knock yourself out.

Andrew

Yeah, I want to try it anyway!!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

DougH

Give it a try and let us know how it sounds!

puretube

There are those,
who attenuate their tiny guitar-signal to have its phase shifted undistorted (FET/OTA),
and have to whine about clicking, ticking, and other noises;
and there are those,
who form the guitar to adult levels before playing with the phase (TUBE),
and don`t have modulation noise or objectable distortion.

I belong to those...

DougH

Funny, I don't see any significant attenuation on the phase90 schem- and it doesn't tick or click on the breadboard anyway, nor in the commercial product.

puretube

The trick iseither to read and remember, or to search the forum to find out other people`s problems:
e.g.: level
e.g.: S/N

DougH

Okay, you want it to work with line-level signals instead of being restricted to guitar-level.

I'm wondering what could be done with say a FET/Op-amp phaser circuit designed to run at 30-36v?

The Tone God

Quote from: frequencycentral on July 23, 2008, 06:58:08 AM
Andrew, can you give us any schematics for what you played about with?

Neither were my designs. The low voltage one was someone's DIY project. The high voltage one was a product someone was selling as an all tube Univibe I believe. The thing was huge and heavy. They built the power supply into a external case then ran the DC lines to the case with the audio circuit to keep noise down. All of it was mounted to a board. Big and heavy. Expensive from what I remember too.

Quote from: frequencycentral on July 23, 2008, 06:58:08 AM
Yeah, I want to try it anyway!!

Hey if you want to give it a shot go right ahead. It would be a good learning experience just don't get your hopes up that something magical will happen.

Andrew

jrc4558

What about nuvistors? I read somewhere that their succeptibility to distortion and clipping is similar to tubes, but current demand is much lower.

mac

QuoteThe trick iseither to read and remember, or to search the forum to find out other people`s problems:
e.g.: level
e.g.: S/N

I had some distortion problems while I was breadboarding the P90. Many folks complain about this.
I built it with the same fets but new TL062s and it sounds fantastic. In the breadboard I was using a mix of TL071s and 741s.
Still the only differences I expect a priori between a tube phaser and a SS one is in the LFO section. Also some distortion using tubes. Not an expert.

mac