Valvecaster - First Build

Started by Johnny Halo, July 23, 2008, 01:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Halo

I would like to build a Valvecaster for my 1st project. Does anyone have a parts list and/or suggestions for what to use?

Thanks.

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Renegadrian

Johnny, you can read the 33-page-topic or just go to the LAYOUTS GALLERY and type VALVECASTER - you'll find the layouts I personally developed - both with the list of its components (minus the 7812 voltage regulator and the 100µF electrolytic at the DC jack) and an easy and fast vero layout - you cannot fail with that, promise!!! It's more than verified!!! Let us know about your valvy, ok?
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Johnny Halo

Thanks, Renegadrian.

i was planning on doing the PTP version. I presume the values are the same for the caps and resistors? Does it make a difference in what type of caps are used? What about voltage?

Also, how do you put the big hole in the enclosure for the tube?

Renegadrian

quote Johnny Halo
... I presume the values are the same for the caps and resistors?
YES
Does it make a difference in what type of caps are used? What about voltage?
NO BIG DIFFERENCES...VOLTAGE IS 12V.
Also, how do you put the big hole in the enclosure for the tube?
DRAW A CIRCLE ON THE BOX, DRILL A COUPLE OF HOLES AND FILE DOWN THE REST.
IT'S NOT A PERFECT "GIOTTO" CIRCLE BUT THE BORDER OF THE SOCKET WILL HIDE THE HOLE, SO...

Hanglow

Also some unibits are big enough for 9 pin sockets, they are useful to have anyway

or you could look at a hole saw for a drill and use that

ambulancevoice

also, if you using an aluminium enclosure (which i pressume you are), you can use a wood drill bit to drill the tube socket
people use them on there tube amps, apparently they work really well
http://www.tonepad.com/photoessay.asp?photoEssayID=1&sequenceNo=7
an example
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Johnny Halo

Thanks, everyone for the tips.

Renegadrian, what is the difference between a nf cap and a mf cap? I was looking at Small Bear Electronics list of caps and did not see any nf caps. Can they be substituted for one another?

kurtlives

Quote from: Johnny Halo on July 24, 2008, 12:17:17 PM

Renegadrian, what is the difference between a nf cap and a mf cap? I was looking at Small Bear Electronics list of caps and did not see any nf caps. Can they be substituted for one another?

http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

Keep in mind mF and uF are the same.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

MikeH

Quote from: Johnny Halo on July 24, 2008, 12:17:17 PM

nf = nanofarads, mf = microfarads 

1000nf = 1mf
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

MikeH

Couple other things:  While this will run off a 9 volt, it sucks quite a bit of power, so plan on running it off of a 9V regulated power supply, or better yet, a 12 volt regulated supply.  The regulated part is very important, otherwise it will not work properly.  Use a power supply specifically designed for pedals; don't just go grabbing the old power supply from you answering machine because the voltage is right.

On another note, I find the valvecaster to have a little too much bass, which can muddy the sound up quite a bit, depending on what amp you're using. so also order some smaller caps for the input (27nf, 10nf etc...) and maybe for the output cap too (~.047uf, etc).  If you're valvy is too bassy or muddy try swapping out some smaller caps.

Johnny Halo

What about wire, for the pots, switch, etc. What gauge?

Is there somewhere other than Small Bear to get the parts? I would like to shop around.

MikeH

Some people like to use nice teflon-coated, pre-tinned wire, but I just use whatever 20-24 gauge stranded wire I can get.  A lot of times I just salvage it out of non-working electronics. 

And you can also try:

Pedal Parts Plus
Effects Connection
Mouser
Digikey
Banzai
Jameco
Radio Shack

etc, etc, etc

Some are better/cheaper to deal with than others, depending on what part of the world you live in.

Johnny Halo

Renegadrian

Johnny, you can use whatever you got handy, no special parts are required to make this simple circuit work...

MikeH

Do make sure your wire is stranded though (for durability; solid core wire tends to break), and that the gauge is small enough that you can fit it into the solder tabs on your stompswitch, DC jack and tube socket pins.