Boss Type Enclosures?

Started by CodeMonk, July 24, 2008, 03:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

Ok, I search and had no luck other than a dead link to someone that I guess used to make these style of boxes.

Anyone make these style of boxes?
Boss, Behringer, Ibanez style as far as the stomp switch gets activated?

Thanks

CodeMonk

Any Ideas?
Not necessarily a boss enclosure, but the type that has that big pad like Boss, Ibanez, Behringer, etc as opposed to using a hammond type enclosure with the stomp switch, like MXR, etc.

Thanks

hday

There aren't really any. You're best bet would be to acquire a broken one, and replace the electronics. Just buy a cheap used pedal with an enclosure style you like. Someone around here buffed out a Boss pedal to a mirror finish and it looked very nice.

You could always try to make them yourself, too. I'm sure people would buy them if you made them.

lerxst88

you would probably have to fab something up yourself. the boss/ibanez/etc pedals have that big pad that just pushes a smaller switch

snufkin

and once you had made one (and I'm sure you are aware of this) you would have to tack on a switching circuit to all your builds because most diy builds are set up to use multi pole switches  and the mini switches in the boss pedals need extra circuitry that takes up space in an already cramped space

I guess thats why most people don't tackle this type of enclosure 

easyface,phase 90,many fuzz faces,feedback looper,tremulus lune and so on soon to be ADA!

Mark Hammer

There is something to be said for the big target that foot treadles provide for people in a hurry. 

I suppose one could fashion a similar sort of affair for a Hammond 1590-B, but pivoting in the opposite direction.  That is the treadle would be screwed to the chassis close to one end rather than near the middle as it is in the Boss chassis.  That would mean that when not in use the spring underneath would push the treadle up at an angle facing the user.  Depressing it would mean pressing it in the direction of flat, and letting it go would mean having it return to "the upright position".  Presumably some sort of plunger would be mounted to the underside of the treadle via epoxy or whatever and, just like the Boss chassis and so many others, the plunger would protrude through a spring and a hole in the chassis top where it would actuate a momentary switch underneath inside the chassis.

The bigger question is whether all this, no matter how feasible, is actually a good idea.  I'm inclined to think not.

Why?  First off, those standard chassis that are readily available to us, whether Hammond or work-alikes, are either so small that installing a foot-treadle wastes valuable panel space, or else so big that having a foot-treadle stretch all the way across the edge of something like a 1590BB is also a waste of valuable panel space (say goodbye to two footswitches).  Second, the place where the Boss treadle is attached is raised (or rather the spot where the knobs go is depressed), and the moving end is the front - away from the knobs/switches.  A homebrew treadle that demands movement of your foot towards the knobs and toggle switches risks inadvertent "re-adjustment" of the settings, or even damage to the controls.  Third, there is the question of whether one would gain or lose space inside the chassis.  My guess is that by the time you factor in the support circuitry for FET switching and the bracket required to hold it in place so that the switch works reliably, you've lost space, relative to what you might have with a plain old 3PDT.

So, I know you didn't ask if one could make a DIY foot treadle out of a Hammond box.  I just wanted to offer some words of caution to anyone thinking that maybe it would be worth attempting.

Having said that, I see that the new series of Visual Sound pedals have a "big target" stompswitch (somebody has been taking lessons from Pete Cornish! :icon_wink: ), though I don't know whether that target sits atop a momentary SPST or mechanical bypass switch (haven't seen any of the new pedals in town yet).

cheeb

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 25, 2008, 09:54:49 AM
Having said that, I see that the new series of Visual Sound pedals have a "big target" stompswitch (somebody has been taking lessons from Pete Cornish! :icon_wink: ), though I don't know whether that target sits atop a momentary SPST or mechanical bypass switch (haven't seen any of the new pedals in town yet).
Just ask R.G.

I like plain 3pdts. Seems like it's manlier, or tougher or something.

Mark Hammer

3PDTs are fine.  I use them too.  However, sometimes they aren't a big enough target for some players (e.g., those who have to make a lot of pedal changes quickly).  I think there is also something to be said for the way in which their lifespan can be compromised if you don't mount them just right.

CodeMonk

Ok well then.
Guess Boss style enclosures are out.
I realized I would have to go with a different switching system than the standard 3PDT.
I made a few OD pedals for a local guitar store and he asked if I could put them in a Boss style enclosure.
I'm fine with the 3PDT's myself. Guess he will be too :)

lerxst88

actualyy my boss metal zone and my DOD chorus just crapped out on me. email me if you would wanna buy the enclosures. viper9927@aol.com

Krinor

Quote from: hday on July 24, 2008, 10:33:47 PM
Someone around here buffed out a Boss pedal to a mirror finish and it looked very nice.

Like this ?

http://www.effector-repair.com/index.php?main_page=BOSS_kyoumen

Very nice idea.

jlullo

yes that tutorial is awesome!

flo

These look nice:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=68973.msg551991#msg551991
Not quite Boss type enclosures but more like it than a Hammond box.

mforester

Rixen

Thanks mforester,

I too wanted to see Boss style enclosures on the market. Cost me a lot of $$ to do it, OMG diecast molds are expensive! but the final result is good, if a bit spendy. But add up all the extras you need to add for a Hammond to make a working pedal (switch, feet, PCB mounts, battery holder etc) and it's not too bad.

Julian
http://www.rixenpedals.com/

R.G.

Quote from: Rixen on April 06, 2016, 03:27:55 PM
OMG diecast molds are expensive!
Very true. Machining up a diecasting mold is a few thousand dollars for a simple mold, tens up to hundreds of thousands for large, complex ones. The nice thing about diecast is that once you've paid for the mold, each copy costs a few cents each. So the fundamental economics of diecasting is figuring out what quantity pays for your mold. Once the die's paid form they're very, very cheap indeed.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Rixen

..well, ~ $USD 8 for the two castings used in these- there is about 450g of aluminium. The rest of the cost is in the cover, clip, screws and hinge components..

Hatredman

Wow! They already come with the momentary switch controlling a 4pdt relay for true bypass! Neat!

Sent from my iPoor using Tapatalk - now Free because I'm poor

Edit: I was lookng at the wrong picture.
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

Rixen

At the moment they come with a 4PDT latching switch, or a DPDT momentary switch. The relay option is still in development, I'm hoping to have it operate from a hall effect sensor, rather than a mechanical switch.

The standard blue 3PDT latching footswitch works in these enclosures too.

Would anyone be interested in a force sensing resistor option for expression pedals ? It would be controlled by how much pressure you push down with at the bottom of the stroke.