Controller pedal mod for Line6 tonecore, possible???

Started by Sindran, July 26, 2008, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sindran

I've been using line6 Delay modeler for many years, with foot conroller attached.
About a year ago I bought Echopark, because I wanna smaller pedalboard for easier transport, when flying etc...

But I just can't live without the foot controller, I need it for adjusting dry/wet level.
Recently I've been playing gigs barefooted, so I can adjust the tiny knob with my toes, not easy!!!  :P

...So, is it possible to attach normal controlpedal for adjusting the wet/dry signal???

I was thinking that maybe I just take the pot of, and take wires out to controlpedal, where the pot willl be moved...
(it's digital, so I'm not even sure if there is "normal" pot)

But perfect solution would be to similar to analogman mod to Boss digidelay, where you can plug controllerpedal to one of the outputs. This way I could also use it without the conreoller...

Any ideas???

tiges_ tendres

Try a little tenderness.

any

If you only want to control the wet/dry mix (no other functions), you could build a splitter/blend (runoffgroove) into a wah pedal casing and have a dedicated wet/dry control for any pedal that's in the loop.
Thing is, those tone-core pots are plastic and not able to withstand much abuse.
Digitally, I would investigate as to how those pots are implemented inside the tone-core module,
I doubt however that it will be easy as the pots are on the module and you need to wire up a connection
from the docking station. Thinking about it, it would be frikkin awesome  if you could switch the stereo input
to a mono input and an expression pedal jack!  8) (possibly a software mod?) As far as I know, if you stick a
"mono" module in a stereo dock, you still get usable ins-out, so the functions of the jacks are possibly
assignable? Maybe someone who has a Tone-core developer kit could shed some more light on the matter....

cheers
It's supposed to sound that way.

Sindran

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on July 26, 2008, 10:41:42 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-?sku=150146

I think that might be a better solution given the pedal you are intending to use it with.

I opened the pedal and "module" is one solid plastic block!
No modding by soldering here... :(

I actally found this same product, but it costs more than the echopark...

Sindran

Quote from: any on July 29, 2008, 04:17:16 AM
If you only want to control the wet/dry mix (no other functions), you could build a splitter/blend (runoffgroove) into a wah pedal casing and have a dedicated wet/dry control for any pedal that's in the loop.
Thing is, those tone-core pots are plastic and not able to withstand much abuse.
Digitally, I would investigate as to how those pots are implemented inside the tone-core module,
I doubt however that it will be easy as the pots are on the module and you need to wire up a connection
from the docking station. Thinking about it, it would be frikkin awesome  if you could switch the stereo input
to a mono input and an expression pedal jack!  8) (possibly a software mod?) As far as I know, if you stick a
"mono" module in a stereo dock, you still get usable ins-out, so the functions of the jacks are possibly
assignable? Maybe someone who has a Tone-core developer kit could shed some more light on the matter....

cheers

That Blender pedal is really good idea! (Only solution I have so far for doing this "mod")
Also that Tonecore development kit looks really, interesting... BUT i'm NOT into programming anything!!!
Is it possible (with development kit) to mod existing pedals, like echopark???
If someone could program/do this mod, I'm sure I'm not only one who would be into it..?

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Sindran on July 31, 2008, 12:08:36 PM
Quote from: any on July 29, 2008, 04:17:16 AM

cheers

That Blender pedal is really good idea! (Only solution I have so far for doing this "mod")
Also that Tonecore development kit looks really, interesting... BUT i'm NOT into programming anything!!!
Is it possible (with development kit) to mod existing pedals, like echopark???
If someone could program/do this mod, I'm sure I'm not only one who would be into it..?

Nope, you cant tinker with anyone elses modules or the pre made line 6 ones.
Try a little tenderness.

Processaurus

Quote from: Sindran on July 31, 2008, 12:01:37 PM
I opened the pedal and "module" is one solid plastic block!
No modding by soldering here... :(

Shoulda kept going, you can pry the thing apart along the seam with a flathead screwdriver.  The pots are all just voltage dividers  (wild guess, 0-3.3v) sending control voltages to the processor.  I bet no audio actually goes up to the module.  If you can follow the pot's wiper to the module contacts, and then down into the dock, you could interupt it in there, if you can find room for a jack.  Might be hard though.  The earlier post about just using a rocker pedal to blend in the delay would be easiest.

calpolyengineer

I preordered the ToneCore Dev kit and the first idea I had was to try and use one of the stereo outs to send a control signal that would be sent to an expression pedal and then into the unused stereo in. The blank ToneCore modules are only $40, so if someone releases a delay that is on par with the EchoPark, it should be fairly straightforward to implement the expression pedal. If my idea turns out right, it would just require an ordinary volume pedal.

I guess we'll see how this goes, that thing still hasn't been released yet.

SeanCostello

It depends if the inputs to the stereo Tonecore dock are AC coupled (capacitor) or DC. If they are DC, you could use a standard controller-type pedal, although it would probably have to supply its own voltages. If they are AC, you would probably have to create some sort of pedal that outputs a tone, and have the desired "expression pedal" jack track the period of the tone. I think that Guitar Rig does this. I am sure that you could make a simple tone generator / pitch detector combination, where the tone generator is conditioned to output a signal that could be pitch detected via simple methods, such as zero-crossings.

I have the Tonecore kit on order, but it hasn't shown up yet.

Sean Costello

calpolyengineer

Thanks for that explanation. My original idea was to have the expression pedal generate its own signal and have one of the inputs on the ToneCore do pitch detect, then I was thinking that one of the outputs could be used to send a signal out to the expression pedal and then pitch detect. It seems to me that this would be more accurate because the tonecore knows both the original pitch and the adjusted pitch. But, like you said, the dev kit still hasn't come. August is quickly turning into September.

-Joe

Sindran

i finally did the blender:
(http://www.runoffgroove.com/splitter-blend.html)

But it ain't working :(
Blender pot is not doing anything, I get very weak signal from delay path, from dry path, nothing...

I left out the phase inverse part and just copied the schem from U2B and used it in U2A also.
Was this mistake? I was thinking that both paths (green and red) can be identical.
From green send I went straight to U2A pin 5, via 220n cap.
Between red send and return I have the delay box.

I did it to veroboard, that I designed myself (wooHaa), I have checked it couple times. should be OK.

Sindran

It helped when I connected ground to OPamps!!! ;D ;D ;D

I made so many stupid mistakes with this one, I cant believe it!
I should do this more often!