so... how do you guys do it?

Started by eleanor296, July 27, 2008, 12:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earthtonesaudio

+1 on using the pots to mount the board.

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

drk

woww sorry for the offtopic but what is that pedal??
you can power it just with a standard 9v powersupply??

petemoore

1 Prevents shorts.
2 de-stresses connections.
  These are the two important criterion.
  Wiggling board is to be avoided IME.
  Same of course with a shorting condition.
  Other than that it's window dressing.
  I've had a fine time with my 1 screw method, I like that there's only 1 screw [that doesn't tend to get lost, can easily be replaced with another].
  '-'s...Screwhead shows on boxtop, it's easily possible to crush a short under the board [perfboard], you need a small 'bare' [open] portion of board for the screw to thread into.
  '+'s...All the stuff needed is laying around, it takes a few minutes to complete, quick board removals.
  Screw through top of box and insulation layer [holds screw in place when board is removed], then threaded into the board..done.
  Not recommended because I think I'm the only one who has tested this minimalist method, numerous boxes and boards, about 5 years, all is tight.
  Another 1 screw method involves a faucet valve washer [a tall one] and the through screw / board threads...the washer insulates and keeps the boards bottom just above the enclosure surface.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

frequencycentral

Quote from: drk on July 28, 2008, 08:43:08 PM
woww sorry for the offtopic but what is that pedal??
you can power it just with a standard 9v powersupply??

Thats a Valvecaster with an LPB boost at the front end. Yup, 9 volts.

I've also built a tube tremolo, 'Bipolar Disorder' using the same internal and external layout.

drk

thanks, gonna have a look at that ;)

petemoore

I notice 'speed' switch, an unusual and usable item for tremolo I think.

frequencycentral

Quote from: petemoore on July 29, 2008, 09:34:13 AM
  I notice 'speed' switch, an unusual and usable item for tremolo I think.

Yeah, it 'ramps' between the two speeds like a Leslie slowing down/speeding up. All will become clear if you check the schematic.......

petemoore

So dammfine usable tremolo controls sounds like...
  I had a 'ramp up'...on a SS phaser, but it was mechanico-spring-turn resistance of the pot...IOW an 'accident' that had a happy ending.
  The pedal treadle and the pot having 'spring-string' and play between them made it very easy to 'bump up' the speed from 'there', and control the ramp up speed by either barely moving the treadle [the pot would slowly move to new position] or 'stab' it and pull back to original position, the speed would jump a notch or few.
  Ramp speed 'slow' is a very nice feature for something that cycles like phaser or tremolo, IME, it causes an "I'm being accellerated" listening experience, more fun for longer than the 'I was accellerated' effect.

newfish

So - excusing the quality of the mobile phone pictures...

Sockets mounted on-board holding everything in place.
Just a simple 1-stage boost... (BC108 in case you're interested. Whilst it's not Germanium <Choir of Angels goes here>, at least it's still in a metal can... ).

www.iansnape.co.uk/images/Outside.jpg
www.iansnape.co.uk/images/Inside.jpg

Everything fitted in beautifully - until it was Battery time.
I cut a redundant corner off the board to allow the top of the Battery some room.

Mental note - measure for box-space *before* etching a layout.
Will make a cardboard template to check for space next time.

I've also used PC Board off-cuts as templates for Sockets and Switches.
Since I'm drawing the layouts by hand, I have a known, good position for all the wee holes...

...and at some stage over the weekend maybe - Sockets and 3DPDT switch on-board...

www.iansnape.co.uk/images/NextTime.jpg

Happiness is a warm etchant bath.