TILLMAN: HOW TO INCREASE OUTPUT LEVEL?

Started by Renegadrian, July 28, 2008, 10:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gez

Quote from: DougH on August 07, 2008, 12:02:42 PM

Are we supposed to pluralize the rest of our school subjects too?- Histories, Spellings, Englishes, Physical Educations, Sciences, Arts, Woodshops?

And anyone guilty of pluralizing the word music into musics is guilty of the most pompous and pretentious atrocity ever committed against the English language. Makes me wretch every time I hear it...    :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

As far as I'm aware (and my English grades weren't great at school so I'm on dodgy ground here), 'maths' is an abbreviation of mathematics, so it's not a 'pluralization'.  All 'math' is is an abreviated abreviation...I need a cup of tea now!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

harmonic

Quote from: StephenGiles on August 07, 2008, 04:32:26 AM
What I want to know is how maths managed to drop the s between here and the Americas - all of them!

Because it's stupid, that's why. :icon_mrgreen:

Are we supposed to pluralize the rest of our school subjects too?- Histories, Spellings, Englishes, Physical Educations, Sciences, Arts, Woodshops?

And anyone guilty of pluralizing the word music into musics is guilty of the most pompous and pretentious atrocity ever committed against the English language. Makes me wretch every time I hear it...    :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

But isn't "maths" a shortened form of "Mathematics"? I.e., you wouldn't say "The study of Mathematic", you'd say 'The study of History/Spelling/English/Woodshop/Maths'. No?

harmonic

Ah, got beaten to the answer by being distracted by my 2 year old climbing all over me wanting to listen to pedal sound samples!!  :icon_biggrin:

gez

Ah, that old chestnut!  :icon_razz: (see if we can make page 10).

slacker

Quote from: gez on August 07, 2008, 12:15:02 PM
As far as I'm aware (and my English grades weren't great at school so I'm on dodgy ground here), 'maths' is an abbreviation of mathematics, so it's not a 'pluralization'.  All 'math' is is an abreviated abreviation...I need a cup of tea now!

Shouldn't that be pluralisation?  ;D

Oh and before anyone else says it Lounge, parlour, dayroom or whatever works in your part of the world.

Ben N

The dispute about maths/math has a real Switftian flavor (translation for Brits: flavour)--remember Big Endians and Little Endians, anyone? But is also reminds me of the pleasure i once had of attending a Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field, back in the not-so-distant past when the Cubbies were perennial sad sacks. I sat in the right field bleachers, where the bleacher bums entertained themselves with periodic chants of "Left field sucks!" I'll bet you'll never guess what they chanted in the left field bleachers? Luckily, there was plenty of beer around, both for drinking and for hurling onto the field as a sign of displeasure. Great place, Wrigley.

I assume at this point that decorum no longer demands an "OT," since there no longer is a topic, right?
  • SUPPORTER

frank_p

Quote from: Ben N on August 07, 2008, 01:25:08 PM
I assume at this point that decorum no longer demands an "OT," since there no longer is a topic, right?

Everybody is still waiting the PDF to resume the mathSSS in this topic, decide how to bias that FET, make a PCB transfer copy and put all that stuff in the gallery.  :icon_mrgreen:

If all that is not done the topic will go on and on...
::)

StephenGiles

Quote from: StephenGiles on August 07, 2008, 04:32:26 AM
What I want to know is how maths managed to drop the s between here and the Americas - all of them!

Because it's stupid, that's why. :icon_mrgreen:

Rubbish, maths is simply short for mathematics. Don't blame me for hideous USAian pronounciation!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

gez

Quote from: slacker on August 07, 2008, 01:03:23 PM

Shouldn't that be pluralisation?  ;D

Not when it's in inverted commas!

Are we on page 10 yet?

Edit: Bugger, no we're not...

GREEN FUZ

Sorry for going off topic but does anyone know how I can get more output from my booster pedal without effecting the tonal quality.

dano12

GREEN FUZ

Are we on page 10 yet?

Edit: Aaaaaaawwwhhhhh!!!!

The Tone God

The French connection

Ok here's some old one...

How do you get two piccolo players to play in perfect unison?
Shoot one.

What's the difference between a fiddle and a violin ?
Who cares - neither one's a guitar

How do you know when the stage is level ?
The drummer is drooling out of both sides of his mouth ..

Did you hear about the guitarist who was in tune ?
Neither did I

Why are so many guitarists jokes one liners ?
So the rest of the band can understand them

What do you call a guitarist who breaks up with his girlfriend ?
Homeless ..

What's the definition of a minor second?
Two oboists playing in perfect unison.

How do you get a guitar player off of your front porch ?
Pay for the pizza.

How many guitar players does it take to cover a Stevie Ray Vaughn tune ?
Evidently all of them.

What do you do if your bassist is drowning?
Throw him his amp.

What's the difference between an oboe and an onion?
No one cries when you chop up an oboe.

What's the difference between a bassoon and a trampoline?
You take off your shoes when you jump on a trampoline.

"Mommy! Mommy! When I grow up I want to be a guitar player!"
"Now Johnny, you can't do both!"

Why did the chicken cross the road?
To get away from the bassoon recital.

Why do clarinetists leave their cases on the dashboard?
So they can park in the handicapped zones.

What is "perfect pitch?"
When you lob a clarinet into a toilet without hitting the rim.

Who's gonna reach the 10 th page?

Dan
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

cheeb

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on August 07, 2008, 05:55:57 PM
Sorry for going off topic but does anyone know how I can get more output from my booster pedal without effecting the tonal quality.
Response contest winner!! Best response yet.

Remember back in middle school when something would happen and it was like the world was coming to an end? Those days at the time seem like the worst of your life. Then, as you grow up, your problems become more serious and you look back on those earlier days and feel silly for getting so upset over such little things. Then when the same little things happen, you may get irritated momentarily, but you get over and laugh it off.

There's this really cool phenomenon going on on this forum these days. A couple years ago, when there would be an argument or insults in a thread, the entire mood of the forum would go down, interest would wane, and threads would get hurtful and violent. All of this would be followed by spin-off threads concerning things that were said in the argument threads, keeping the argument and hurt feelings/pride going for weeks. Then when Aron finally said enough, everyone would turn on him for censorship. People would leave, and it was a really bad time.

These days, we've grown up past these times and most of us here lived through the rough times of the forum and losing members who were great contributors and our friends. Now when there's an argument, I get tense and clench up, worrying that those times are here again...but lately I have been consistently, pleasantly surprised to see that the camaraderie and lightheartedness shines through these days and we can make jokes and have fun instead.

We're growing up guys.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

newfish

"we're growing up..."

We're musicians.

Claim : refuted.

What's the difference between a Drummer and  Drum Machine?
You only have to punch the information in *once* with a Drum Machine.

How to get more gain from a Tilman?
Put bigger numbers on the case and turn to '11'...

*Slightly* related to DIY-ing...

Finished building an Electric Violin (broken eBay special) - and may spent a little time playing through the mighty Fuzz Face / Tremolo / Headrush combination.

"We are the english speaking Sherlock Holmes vernacular..." - Ray Davies.

<This post is all filler, no thriller>
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

puretube

Quote from: cheeb on August 07, 2008, 10:10:40 PM

There's this really cool phenomenon going on on this forum these days. A couple years ago, when there would be an argument or insults in a thread, the entire mood of the forum would go down, interest would wane, and threads would get hurtful and violent. All of this would be followed by spin-off threads concerning things that were said in the argument threads, keeping the argument and hurt feelings/pride going for weeks. Then when Aron finally said enough, everyone would turn on him for censorship. People would leave, and it was a really bad time.

a few of those have gone and founded their own "builderbook-playground"-forum,
where they think they can freely rant, spread rumours, slander/libel and otherwise tickle laws,
and where they feel they finally have the "power" to play censor themselves,
but have ended up experiencing,
that on the contrary they have to censor what they thought would be "free",
sometimes.

Ben N

This thread is like a car crash. I know I should just move on and yet... I... can't... look... away...
  • SUPPORTER