TILLMAN: HOW TO INCREASE OUTPUT LEVEL?

Started by Renegadrian, July 28, 2008, 10:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougH

QuoteWell, I believe you're right, but I feel I don't need it for now...I built several circuits and they all worked, and when they didn't it was for some solder mistakes, so it was easy to solve them...I know that someone don't like this approach, but hey, we're all different and we're all right at the end, given that we arrive at the point we settle...

And as long as you never, ever have a problem other than solder mistakes that you can see with your eyes, you'll be alright.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: DougH on August 04, 2008, 07:00:55 AM
And as long as you never, ever have a problem other than solder mistakes that you can see with your eyes, you'll be alright.

yeah, twice i have had shorts within the board material.
impossible?
maybe - but wait till it happens to you  ??? :icon_eek: :icon_mad:

petemoore

Paul, you sure know how to find 'em...
  Within the board material...anything is possible, but...ouch...sounds like a tuff 'workaround'..you really got to know to look .. EVERYWHERE eh?
  A few times through something like that is good for a how-howdid?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MikeH

Quote from: Renegadrian on August 04, 2008, 06:15:21 AM
Quote from: selectortone on August 04, 2008, 05:27:56 AM
btw, you really need to buy a multimeter!

Well, I believe you're right, but I feel I don't need it for now...I built several circuits and they all worked, and when they didn't it was for some solder mistakes, so it was easy to solve them...I know that someone don't like this approach, but hey, we're all different and we're all right at the end, given that we arrive at the point we settle... :icon_wink:

Sooner or later you'll want to build something really complicated and you'll have to get an MM.  For me, I believe it was the first ross comp I built.  Not even that complicated of a build but I ended up having to buy a DMM to debug it.  Now there isn't a day that goes by that I don't use it for something.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

frank_p

Quote from: wampcat1 on August 03, 2008, 06:08:55 PM

I see your point, but there is something to be said for the chef who uses a 'pinch' of this and a 'pinch' of that in order to make a great meal.

JDoyle

Quote from: rotylee on August 02, 2008, 08:57:12 AM
when people come in with grand equations

please site what your variables and abbreviations mean.

Current = I
Inductance = L
is not an obvious thing you know

Actually, it is.

Any damn intro to electronics website will lay it all out. Or you could use Wikipedia.

Are you saying that it is more proper and fair for me to type in 'the Voltage from the Drain to the Source' every time I need to use 'Vds' in an answer, along with everyone else who ever answers a question, instead of you doing what every other damn person here before you did - which is - learn the terminology. What makes you so special?

Thing is, your own laziness and sense of entitlement to everything you didn't work for is what is holding you back.

So suck it up and do something for yourself.

Quotejargon is a factor of exclusion.
designed to make those in the knows life simpler, while mystifying the processes to neophytes and onlookers.

First off - it ain't jargon.

It is a widely accepted form of presenting electronics information in a way that can be quickly accessed and used in equations. Everyone before you has been capable of figuring out what it all stands for on their own.

Why can't you?

Or to put a finer point on it - why do you expect others to do everything for you? Who told you that would be the case, and that when it isn't the case, there is a vast conspiracy to hide information from you?

How much do you want to have done for you? Pretty much every damn thing you will ever need is on this site, AMZ, GEOFEX, and many many many other sites.

Are you saying that, despite that, you STILL expect someone to compile the information, present how they are going to use it, what every abbreviation they use will mean, and then, and only then, can they proceed to answer someone else's question with your blessing?

The level of arrogance and entitlement is astounding to me. But seeing as you expressed it in your fourth post ever on this board, I guess I shouldn't be astounded, as this has been the trend for quite some time.

Jay Doyle

Renegadrian

Quote from: MikeH on August 04, 2008, 12:13:45 PM
Quote from: Renegadrian on August 04, 2008, 06:15:21 AM
Quote from: selectortone on August 04, 2008, 05:27:56 AM
btw, you really need to buy a multimeter!

Well, I believe you're right, but I feel I don't need it for now...I built several circuits and they all worked, and when they didn't it was for some solder mistakes, so it was easy to solve them...I know that someone don't like this approach, but hey, we're all different and we're all right at the end, given that we arrive at the point we settle... :icon_wink:

Sooner or later you'll want to build something really complicated and you'll have to get an MM.  For me, I believe it was the first ross comp I built.  Not even that complicated of a build but I ended up having to buy a DMM to debug it.  Now there isn't a day that goes by that I don't use it for something.

I'm aware of it, in fact I wrote that this is my approach for now...
As someone wrote before, it'll come one day, sooner or later, that I find the need to get one...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

wampcat1

Quote from: JDoyle on August 04, 2008, 02:19:08 PM
Quote from: rotylee on August 02, 2008, 08:57:12 AM
when people come in with grand equations

please site what your variables and abbreviations mean.

Current = I
Inductance = L
is not an obvious thing you know

Actually, it is.

Any damn intro to electronics website will lay it all out. Or you could use Wikipedia.

Are you saying that it is more proper and fair for me to type in 'the Voltage from the Drain to the Source' every time I need to use 'Vds' in an answer, along with everyone else who ever answers a question, instead of you doing what every other damn person here before you did - which is - learn the terminology. What makes you so special?

Thing is, your own laziness and sense of entitlement to everything you didn't work for is what is holding you back.

So suck it up and do something for yourself.

Quotejargon is a factor of exclusion.
designed to make those in the knows life simpler, while mystifying the processes to neophytes and onlookers.

First off - it ain't jargon.

It is a widely accepted form of presenting electronics information in a way that can be quickly accessed and used in equations. Everyone before you has been capable of figuring out what it all stands for on their own.

Why can't you?

Or to put a finer point on it - why do you expect others to do everything for you? Who told you that would be the case, and that when it isn't the case, there is a vast conspiracy to hide information from you?

How much do you want to have done for you? Pretty much every damn thing you will ever need is on this site, AMZ, GEOFEX, and many many many other sites.

Are you saying that, despite that, you STILL expect someone to compile the information, present how they are going to use it, what every abbreviation they use will mean, and then, and only then, can they proceed to answer someone else's question with your blessing?

The level of arrogance and entitlement is astounding to me. But seeing as you expressed it in your fourth post ever on this board, I guess I shouldn't be astounded, as this has been the trend for quite some time.

Jay Doyle

:icon_exclaim:

aron

We have all sorts of people here with differing views and experience. I would hope that we can figure out a way to find the middle ground and get along. BTW: I consider a multimeter essential for this hobby. Even a cheap digital one can save many hours of time.

aron

DougH

Or you can type in "electrical unit abbreviations" into Google and voila, look what comes up on the top of the listing:

http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/ias/pub-dept/abbreviation.pdf

Here's another one, after I typed in "electrical units":

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/electrical-units-d_454.html

And, for people who have never seen this stuff before, and hence cannot understand discussions about electronics, I suggest you start here:

http://www.tpub.com/neets/

Now for those of you who don't understand how to use a computer keyboard, try this:

http://www.aarp.org/learntech/computers/howto/a2002-07-15-keyboardbasics.html

Or this:

http://tech.tln.lib.mi.us/tutor/welcome.htm

And if all else fails, go here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/potty-training/CC00060

There- that pretty much covers everything.

No need to copy anything anywhere else, or put it in yet another corner on this site where people won't read it but will demand it gets explained to them. I'll just put it in this post which will be handily ignored instead.

Hopefully we've attended to everyone's needs now and haven't excluded anyone. I would not want to assume anyone is capable of anything. We're here to help the helpless!!
---

Seriously Aron... I think it's time to raise the bar on this board. There is way too much mollycoddling that goes on here. And that only seems to encourage helplessness and whining. In most other forums out there people get trounced on for asking stupid questions and whining is not tolerated. This forum is an absolute gold mine of information that is provided for free. The minimum price of admission should be a willingness to look up the obvious on your own- if not here than at least on google. If they can't be bothered to spend the requisite 5 seconds doing that, then they get pounced on. If they come back whining then their account gets removed. For newbies, sure, there is more tolerance and a gentle direction for where to search. But if they come back whining, BAM! They're gone too. It should be that simple.

We will only get as good of a forum as the behavior we expect out of the posters.

Renegadrian

You mean a secret society? A massonic circle of diyers, with crossed irons as a logo?  :icon_lol:
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

DougH

Heh-heh... :icon_mrgreen: No, just a minimal level of sanity you pretty much see on any other forum on the internet. :icon_wink:

petemoore

You mean a secret society? A massonic circle of diyers, with crossed irons as a logo?
  "Mother natures Minions"...we live by a perfectly strict set of rules, they have never been bent. As far as we need be concerned, these rules are etched in stone...there is nothing about them which we can change except our perception of them.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

newfish

Sanity?

On the Interweb?

I thought it was all Snake Oil salesmen, Naked Harlots and, oh, DIY-ers.

Coming at this from a new-builder perspective, I can see the frustration expressed in this thread.  

Electronics isn't something you can just do 'x' and 'y' and suddenly know everything.

I think it's entirely fair to expect members to do even a little reading / searching - after all, everyone on here's building *something*, and people don't always have time to answer the same question over and over again.

Google (irrespective of your opinion of them) *is* your friend in this instance.
Or take a gamble on Wikipedia.

If you don't get it the first time, print it out and read it later - hell, this way you're also building your own reference docs to keep.

It's not like anyone has to walk to the Library any more...

There's a DIY FAQ / GEOFX FAQ on the top menu bar - and R.G. (amongst others) has written some excellent (detailed *and* clear!) articles on the whys and hows of certain effects.

For those uncertain of what they're doing, why not try the 'Beginner's Project' listed below this forum - there's nothing crappy about it - and it's a great way to cut your teeth as it were - building one on a breadboard / socketed perfboard will show you what happens when you change such-and-such too.

2 cents / 1 sterling penny over - back to those Naked Harlots...

Ian.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

DougH

Thanks.

I appreciate hearing that from a new builder. :icon_wink:

RDV

My realization of my ignorance of electronics theory in general is why I've more or less stopped with the effects building thing. I've built 100+ and tried to design one(it sucked). I finally got the feeling I was nothing more than a puzzle builder(though a decent one) rather than any sort of innovator and thus eventually lost interest.

I've built a few DIY speakers of late but suffer the same malady there also. I've only built others' designs or cobbled together multiple designs into "Frankenstein" sort of things. Same thing with guitar effects.

There's nothing like the white hot feeling of embarrassment when someone points out that I've given bad advice or have no business asking questions when I've painted myself as some sort of "designer".

I'd like to thank God that I can play a bit anyway...

RDV

aron

QuoteIf they can't be bothered to spend the requisite 5 seconds doing that, then they get pounced on.

I agree that people should look up things for themselves, especially when it is so readily available. But I do not agree that they should be "pounced on".

Just don't answer the question or maybe I do need a look up in GOOGLE button!

Aron

jimbob

RDV= +1. But I keep building though. I dont have 1 of everything yet so I keep going.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

DougH

Quote from: aron on August 05, 2008, 03:52:08 PM

I agree that people should look up things for themselves, especially when it is so readily available. But I do not agree that they should be "pounced on".

I agree- but it shouldn't be considered politically incorrect or impolite if people get irritated...