pedal enclosure painting inquiry

Started by awitee, July 30, 2008, 01:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awitee

hi, im trying to paint my pedal with only the face side (the one with the pots and switches) red and the others white
how do i go about doing it?
because i tried using masking tape at scotch tape before when i was attempting an evh type design but it ended in a disastrous way (color edges were rough etc etc)
is there a special kind of tape? or a specific process?
feedbacks will be appreciated greatly  ;D

hday

Spray the whole enclosure and sand down the sides using a sanding block. If you're doing two colors you can do the same thing, just spray a thick undercoat, then spray the face coat and very, very carefully sand down to the undercoat. Or sand down the top, that'd probably be easier.

Or if you want to use tape, you can buy painters tape from a hardware store. I think 3M makes the Blue Painters tape which is nice.

awitee

hmm painters tape.. i might look for that

hday

It's a masking tape that has a less sticky surface so it doesn't peal off paint. Just make sure your lines are straight and that you rub the edges down so they don't come loose. I always line up my masks, smooth them down with a pen or pencil side so the seal is good on the edge, then run my finger over it for a little extra pressure. Painters tape isn't really for intricate shapes, but for masking the sides of your enclosure it'll work just fine.

If you decide to mask the sides and paint the top, I wouldn't let the tape sit above the top of the enclosure, sort of like a dish. If the paint gets behind the tape bad things can happen.

And always wait for your paint to set before removing the tape. You'll probably want to bake it if you're spraying it, but I'd let it sit until it's tacky before pealing off the tape. It'll smooth just fine in the toaster, just let it sit for a minute or so in the sun. :)

awitee

i dont have a toaster for drying my enclosures.. i just let it stay out in the sun or whatever weather we have hehe.. hopefully itll be ok
i also assume that no matter how much pressure i apply on the tape, there wont be any sticky residue left behind on the case ryt?

Ice-9

With masking tape your will nearly always get some paint creep under the edge so will not get a sharp edge. there were two was i used to pain motorcycles to get sharp edges. !st i used to use electricians tape for the edge then mask off the rest of the rest with paper stuck down with masking tape. Later i used proper painters edge tape ( a bit like a pinstripe tape) both with great results
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

awitee

hmm ill try to visit our local hardware store to see if there are any painters masking tape.. hopefully there is haha

Renegadrian

send me a PM with your mail address, I believe I still have a file that could help you...Gotta check it in the next hours when I'll be back home.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

fogwolf

Quote from: awitee on July 30, 2008, 04:41:57 AM
i dont have a toaster for drying my enclosures.. i just let it stay out in the sun or whatever weather we have hehe..

I hang the case in my basement and use 2 of those hooded clamp lamps with 300W bulbs right up to (but not touching :)) the case.

skiraly017

You can also got to an automotive paint supply store (or order online) and buy pinstriping tape (not a pinstriping kit). Pinstriping tape leaves a very clean edge and is a little easier to work with around corners. Set your color change edge with the pinstriping tape and mask off the larger areas with painter's tape. Before you know it you'll be laying down striping jobs like this.

"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

awitee

davent

Quote from: awitee on July 30, 2008, 01:47:33 AM
hi, im trying to paint my pedal with only the face side (the one with the pots and switches) red and the others white
how do i go about doing it?
because i tried using masking tape at scotch tape before when i was attempting an evh type design but it ended in a disastrous way (color edges were rough etc etc)
is there a special kind of tape? or a specific process?
feedbacks will be appreciated greatly  ;D

After you've masked but before you start spraying your next colour spray it all with a clear. The clear will be the paint that seeps under the tape and fills the channels so that the colour should not be able to seep under. I've found it stops most if not all of the seepage.

I use mostly AutoAir acrylic colors through an airbrush and blast the fresh paint surface with a hot air gun for a couple minutes between coats.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

awitee

clear coat to feel the gaps!!!! thats a great idea! thx man