Transistor and opamp differences due to frequency response?

Started by Caferacernoc, July 31, 2008, 11:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caferacernoc

Just a thought that popped into my head while reading the percolator post. Do you think that some of the reason different tranny's and opamps sound different is because they have different frequency responses? The percolator and fuzz face are known for being picky and there is lots of talk of HFE and so on. GE vs silicon..... This one is "wooly" sounding, that one has "bite". And then there is the opamps in a tube screamer deal. This one is "browner" or "smoother" than that one.......
But, you know what I mean, gain is discussed, HFE and bias, GE vs SI...... Maybe it's also frequency response. No one ever measures that. And that would be easier to compensate for than distortion character. The only note I've ever seen made along those lines is that a J201 jfet has a darker sound than other jfet's which still might be refering to harmonics generated instead of a treble rolloff.
Any thoughts?

JDoyle

Quote from: Caferacernoc on July 31, 2008, 11:25:37 AM
Just a thought that popped into my head while reading the percolator post. Do you think that some of the reason different tranny's and opamps sound different is because they have different frequency responses? The percolator and fuzz face are known for being picky and there is lots of talk of HFE and so on. GE vs silicon..... This one is "wooly" sounding, that one has "bite". And then there is the opamps in a tube screamer deal. This one is "browner" or "smoother" than that one.......
But, you know what I mean, gain is discussed, HFE and bias, GE vs SI...... Maybe it's also frequency response. No one ever measures that. And that would be easier to compensate for than distortion character. The only note I've ever seen made along those lines is that a J201 jfet has a darker sound than other jfet's which still might be refering to harmonics generated instead of a treble rolloff.
Any thoughts?
I definitely see your point and think, to a certain extent, that it MAY be a factor.

However, most discrete components, even some early Ge transistors, can reach into the MHz without breaking a sweat.

However - with OPAMPS, it is definitely a factor as the compensation, internal or external, not only determines the stability, but the gain bandwidth product which in turn determines how much gain is available (and therefore the amount of negative feedback available) for the range of frequencies produced.

Then of course, you have slew rate...

But you are very right in thinking that it has something to do with what you mentioned. Internal miller capacitance plays a large part in a device's ability to go into and come out of clipping.

Regards,

Jay Doyle