split voltage on pedals?

Started by nero1985, July 31, 2008, 01:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

i don't know if im explaining it right but here's what im asking:

say you have 9v coming from your power supply into your pedal, now you split the voltage so one end powers your pedal, the other end goes into a relay, now the relay needs 9v going in to be on, when you cut the voltage going into the relay the relay goes off (bypass), now, say instead of using the footswitch to cut the 9v going into the relay say i just connect the 9v to the ground, that would short the 9v and turn the relay into a bypass mode,

my question, would this work or would it affect the voltage going into the pedal to power the circuit? what if i use a resistor between the power and the relay? the idea is to switch a pedal on and off using a relay remotely, also using only a mono cable, so tip will be connected to power, sleeve to ground, and when the switch on the remote pedal connects tip to ground it will bypass the pedal....

John Lyons

If you short the 9v to ground you will kill the power for the whole pedal and anything connected to that power supply.
Just connect  9v to the relay via a remote switch and use the remote switch to cut power to the relay instead of shorting the 9v to ground.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/