help with transformer primary wiring

Started by sjaltenb, August 02, 2008, 01:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Hello.

I have a total of 5 transformers (2x tube drivers, electric mistress, and two 9v units) in my new Cornish Board. I have a single power entry module and a power bus for + and - AC.

Is there any polarity on the AC side??? I have read that no, it does not matter, but that it might matter if there are a few transformers all near by or something wierd like that ...help me out please!! thanks!

sean k

On tube amps you don't run signal and power transformers on the same line but put them at 90 degrees so they don't couple up magnetically and one also tries to keep the input tube circuitry, at higher impedances, away from the power transformer. But without output tubes or output transistors being driven your wattages would be in the couple of watts range wouldn't they? You won't see a  magnetic field of much  reactance (is that the right word?} anyways and it can't hurt to stagger them somewhat if you can spare the room.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

petemoore

Is there any polarity on the AC side???

AC Swings negative and positive at a certain rate [say 60 CPS]. The polarity reverses at that rate.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

sjaltenb

so, in so many words...

it does not matter which primary wire is connected to which wire coming from the power entry module.

on any transformer.

correct?

petemoore

transformers only 'do AC, and can't tell one side from the other.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.