Power op amp (LM1875) schem question

Started by Morocotopo, August 03, 2008, 07:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morocotopo

Hi people, I´m working on a 15-20W little solid state amp, designing the power amp section with a LM1875. I´m going to use the schem that is in the datasheet, for single power supply. Now, researching this type of amps, I read the TDA 2030 datasheet (same type of chip, almost identical schems), and in that chip´s schems there´s a few parts missing in the LM1875 one:

I´m reffering to R5 and C8. they are, as stated in the datasheet, for hi freq tailoring. It says there: "R5 purpose: upper freq cutoff - Value: around 3R2" and "C8 purpose: upper freq cutoff - Value: 1 / 2pi B R1" (that´s 1 divided by 2pi B R1)
Now, I´ve already made an LM384 based miniamp, that chip is also a power op amp, but in a DIP format, around 5W. it works, but the main drawback of this one (and I think, chipamps in general) is that the high frequencies tend to be, let´s say, not as sweet as in a tube amp, specially when driven into/with an overdrive (think typical mosquito tone). I know that I have to also factor in the speaker, etc etc, but the 2030 schem got me thinking that I can tailor the high freq response of the chip adding those two parts.
Questions: this added parts would work for this purpose? what values should I use? R5 is easy to calculate, but C8... what does the "B" in the formula means?
Observation: This looks like the cap in, for example, the feedback loop of the clipping opamp in a tube screamer... but with an added resistor. Since we´re talking opamps, even though one of them a power one, I guess the function of the part is the same. but what about the added resistor? function?
I hope I´ve explained myself clearly...

Any help appreciated

Morocotopo
Morocotopo

ItZaLLgOOd

Lifes to short for cheap beer

earthtonesaudio

If you just use a capacitor to shunt high frequencies, they drop off at about 6dB/octave.  Adding the resistor makes it a shelving filter, and the high frequencies drop off until you reach a certain frequency, at which point the response levels off again.

Like so:

---
       \
        \
         \ _ _ _  <-Shelf

You can probably just use the cap and not worry about the resistor.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I would keep the resistor, and experiment with various cap values.

Morocotopo

Boys, thank you for the answers. I´m currently designing a PCB, I´ve included this parts place in it for experimenting.
Paul, would you care to explain why should I leave the resistor? Or it´s what earthonesaudio said enough explanation?

Thanks

Morocotopo
Morocotopo