Stereo Footswitch problem...... (very weird LED function)

Started by sevenisthenumber, August 03, 2008, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenisthenumber

So....... , I have an old two rock footswitch case that was empty and just set out to make it a stereo footswitch for my classic 30 like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stereo-Footswitch-For-Peavey-CLASSIC-30-50-By-VoodooMan_W0QQitemZ280252839899QQihZ018QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

I used two dpdt switches. One for the channel switch and one for reverb (one pole for switching and one for an led on each switch). The channels work great but the leds are a little crazy. They both work independently but when i use both reverb and channel switch together only the channel led works. its like it steals all the power or something???? Can someone show me how this should be wired?

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

sevenisthenumber

ambulancevoice

try giving each led its own resistor, instead of both leds drawing off the same resistor

"Avoid connecting LEDs in parallel!

Connecting several LEDs in parallel with just one resistor shared between them is generally not a good idea.
If the LEDs require slightly different voltages only the lowest voltage LED will light and it may be destroyed by the larger current flowing through it. Although identical LEDs can be successfully connected in parallel with one resistor this rarely offers any useful benefit because resistors are very cheap and the current used is the same as connecting the LEDs individually. If LEDs are in parallel each one should have its own resistor."
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

axg20202

Also, you're putting the +9V supply onto the switch, which I wouldn't do. For each LED, run a wire from the 9V source via a resistor to the long (positive) leg of the LED, then have the switch work the ground connection for the LED. As already said, don't daisy chain the LEDs.

sevenisthenumber

I will try this out!
So run the positive from the battery to the leds separately? Then use the switch to break or join the grounds?

axg20202

Exactly. With a separate resistor and ground connection for each led.