ooh... compression !?!?

Started by 1878, December 03, 2008, 06:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello...

I've owned a Dynacomp for a while now, and even though it's the best compressor I've used, it's still the best compressor out of a bad bunch. The problem I have with it is, it seems to colour the sound a bit too much. My thoughts are turning to optical compressors because I've read reports of these being a little more transparent. Anyone have any advice/thoughts on builds or stock pedals ?? I've also read some very complimentary reports about Monte Allums Dynacomp mods. Has anyone any experience with these ??

Cheers.

axg20202

Quote from: 1878 on December 03, 2008, 06:29:57 PM
Hello...

I've owned a Dynacomp for a while now, and even though it's the best compressor I've used, it's still the best compressor out of a bad bunch. The problem I have with it is, it seems to colour the sound a bit too much. My thoughts are turning to optical compressors because I've read reports of these being a little more transparent. Anyone have any advice/thoughts on builds or stock pedals ?? I've also read some very complimentary reports about Monte Allums Dynacomp mods. Has anyone any experience with these ??

Cheers.

I know this is a DIY forum, but IMO compression is a category of effects where certain commercial pedals can perform better than the DIY build options. (Cue several messages challenging this opinion! - fair enough - I haven't built every DIY compressor layout out there or tried ever commercial compressor). If you want transparent compression, I can highly recommend the Barber Tone Press. It has a wet/dry blend pot and also an internal trimmer to set the character of the compression to taste. I have mine set so that it provides extremely transparent sustain and dynamic control. Hands down the best compressor pedal I have used.

Mike Burgundy

All compressors "colour" the signal somewhat, theyre meant to alter dynamics and that is audible. I actually prefer to *use* their specific characteristict to get a certain sound: if you want to sound like nothings done to the audio, don't do anything to the audio ;P
Most people agree that more "transparency" yields a more natural, "less compressed" feel. There's several ways to get pleasing results: one is to set (or build) the comp to a slower attack time. This lets a little more attack through before the comp starts to alter gain, which gives a more dynamic result. Optical compressors are a bit slower than other types - this is one of the reasons why some people like them.
Another way of getting a more natural feel is, as axg points out, to blend some of the original signal back with the compressed signal. This is used in Joe Meek comps, i think.
It's a lot of fun to tinker with circuits, and to get it just the way *you* want. I'm really pleased with my QD2 (Jack Orman) and it doesn't get much simpler than that. For the record: I'm not too fond of Dynacomps either, althuog the Ross version is getting high marks. Maybe the QD2 is worth trying out - it's really simple. Adding a blend knog is always a very nice feature.

QD2:
http://www.muzique.com/ssm2166.htm
I think Smallbear still has the chips!

Ross/Dyna:
http://www.geofex.com/PCB_layouts/Layouts/d&rpub.pdf

Mods for Ross:
http://www.muzique.com/news/mod-the-byoc-5-knob-compressor/

hih

ayayay!

QuoteAll compressors "colour" the signal somewhat, theyre meant to alter dynamics and that is audible.

I respectfully disagree.  I have a CS-3 mod where you can set the tone, attack, sustain, and level to exactly match your bypassed signal, so much so that it doesn't even sound compressed if that's what you want.   I've gotten much closer on the DynaComp too, but it still does alter the tone a bit.   
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

DougH

My favorite compressor: http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=18

I use it for recording and live with my acoustic rig. EQ-wise it's so transparent I don't even know it's on sometimes.

You will need to use an external bypass box to use it in "typical pedal fashion".

It will also require buffering for use with electric guitar w/passive pickups. I use it with my TubePRE for the acoustic and for recording bass parts with my HOG. (http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=16)

Yeah, I know... It's basically studio gear but it sounds much better than a typical guitar pedal compressor.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Ben N

Quote from: ayayay! on December 04, 2008, 09:54:31 AMI have a CS-3 mod where you can set the tone, attack, sustain, and level to exactly match your bypassed signal, so much so that it doesn't even sound compressed if that's what you want.   I've gotten much closer on the DynaComp too, but it still does alter the tone a bit.   
That description sounds very much like a stock Marshall ED-1. Goes from clean boost to major squish, very transparent tone-wise, and a good degree of flexibility with attack and emphasis (which end of the frequency spectrum gets more or less compressed) in addition to compression and level. The only negative is the crummy bypass, but I am told (http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/fx/types/gain.htm; I also exchanged emails with Andreas about it) that TBP is fairly simple, really just a matter of removing the bypass board and rewiring. (I haven't done the TBP mod myself yet because I can get away with sandwiching it between a couple of buffered pedals, but I plan to.)

Dynacomp is an effect pedal--it is meant to be noticeable, not subtle, that's why country players like it so much--that's the sound they are after. DIY-wise, if you want a compressor more to enhance or manage your existing sound, rather than to sound like you are using a compressor, then an Orange Squeezer or a Q&D would be better.
  • SUPPORTER

ayayay!

QuoteDynacomp is an effect pedal--it is meant to be noticeable, not subtle, that's why country players like it so much--

Exactly.  But I don't want it too noticeable to the point of coloring my tone too much, which is what a stock DynaComp does.  After some mods, it's really a fantastic pedal. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Thanks for the replies...

I was thinking about this in work today. After reading everyone's replies and opinions, I'll go for the Monte Allums mods for my Dynacomp AND build another different type of compressor for the fun and learning curve. As ayayay! said, the Dynacomp is just too much at times. I've heard the Allums mod reduces the colouration and smoothes everything out to a more acceptable (for my tastes) level. I use the Dynacomp a lot, and it's starting to annoy me that I can't seem to get it JUST right. I basically use it to tighten up some of the more unruly fuzzes etc.

I've heard good things about the DOD280 optical compressor. There's a layout here that looks manageable and there's the added bonus that I have most of the parts already. The flatline compressor looks an enjoyable build too.

Thanks again.

Ben N

FWIW, my old 280 was, if anything, more extreme than a Dynacomp--it was almost a swell effect, totally killed the attack--but I think something was wrong with it, or it may have been modded. One day I'll dig it up (basement? garage?) and compare to the posted schematic/troubleshoot.
  • SUPPORTER

markm

Quote from: Ben N on December 04, 2008, 01:02:21 PM
FWIW, my old 280 was, if anything, more extreme than a Dynacomp--it was almost a swell effect, totally killed the attack--but I think something was wrong with it, or it may have been modded. One day I'll dig it up (basement? garage?) and compare to the posted schematic/troubleshoot.

The 280 was a dog imo but, some like it. Compressors are like women, we all have our different opinions of what's good or bad and what we actually expect from them!

guitarman89

I've built it and  sounds good! it is so understimated but it sounds very good
built: MXR Dist+,dod250-280,dr boogey,IC buffers,cmos drive,multiface,20W SS pwr amps,phase90,tubescreamer,rat,amzMB,wuly mammoth,dod280,zombie chorus
under constur:60W 3886 amp,jcm800 em
www.myspace.com/guitarmanbll
www.myspace.com/filospinatopunk

Mike Burgundy

That's what you get for saying stuff when terms like "colour", "feel" and "transparency" are involved ;)
What I meant was that compression affects the signal (transients, attack, sustain), and therefor does something audible. Depending on settings even a totally full-range, tonally totally linear comp will in certain cases emphasize certain frequency bands, and the different dynamic envelope will cause different perception.
On the other hand, good EQ is in most cases (good gear, moderate use, nothing really over the top) more or less inaudible unless you do a decent A/B.
That said, I still like compressors to have their own signature most of the time.

ayayay!: that mod does sound very interesting, though!! I'd really like to get a taste of those!

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: markm on December 04, 2008, 01:15:22 PM
The 280 was a dog imo but, some like it. Compressors are like women, we all have our different opinions of what's good or bad and what we actually expect from them!
I've gotta agree w/that. I've built the 280 & the Flatline. The Flatline is on my pedalboard. The 280 is in the scrap parts bin. 'Nuff said.
Nice to have a markm sighting!  8)
Dave
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

tcobretti

The thing to remember about most stompbox compressors is that they are missing most of the controls - attack, release, and ratio.  These controls are critical to how it affects your sound.  So the first thing you need is a compressor with more controls.  One thing you could try is the old AMZ Compressor project if you can find the chip on ebay.

http://www.muzique.com/ssm.htm

rnfr

IMHO the FMR RNC is hands down the best comp for the cash.  this thing kicks ass.  in fact i am using one right now! :icon_mrgreen: i've got it set over the drum groups and the vocal buss as well.  i can squash the hell out of the vox, and you barely know it's there. it blows the new dbx's out of the water, which i think are in turn a step up from most guitar pedal comps.  if you want (oh no i'm gonna say it!) transparent, this is the only way to go. especially considering the price, you could pay more for a stompbox effect.

tcobretti

I have a FMR RNC also, and I am pretty impressed by it.  It can be very subtle, even you are squashing things pretty solidly. 

http://www.fmraudio.com/