Help building the 70's Maestro MPF-1

Started by the-bna, August 06, 2008, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xdissent

Oh tons. It was REALLY difficult sourcing all the pots and switches I needed but prototype parts were finally ordered earlier this week. I've only got a few more Eagle footprints to lay out and I'll hopefully finish the board today. Tomorrow is enclosure prototyping day, and then when the boards arrive I'll have kits, boards, or assembled versions available on the cheap! I do have an original on loan now, which I've been playing through a LOT! I've taken it apart and tested my breadboarded version against it for accuracy. It's spot on like the original.

Inside:

fuzzo

Ok. it's a good new !  :icon_biggrin:

(sorry to seem a little profiteer but I'm really interesting about that pedal and I haven't the skills to make my own PCB desing (at least at this moment) )

fuzzo

xdissent , what's new ? better or similar to the Original maestro ?

xdissent

I dry fit a perfboard with all the controls in a cardboard mock up of the enclosure yesterday. Everything is looking perfect so I'm sending out for the PCBs after a couple of minor tweaks. It took a little longer than expected because I wasn't happy with one of the potentiometers and a switch that I had planned to use so I redid the footprints to take the new ones. Plus, I added a drive control to allow you to back off the overdrive / pre-filter gain a bit. It's not that the original overdrive is way over the top and it could be adjusted by turning down the volume on the guitar, but with this arrangement I was having trouble matching volume levels in bypass mode if I had messed with my guitar output level. So now it's way more flexible, especially if it's not going to be the only pedal you're playing through. Sorry if this seems to be taking a long time, I'm just obsessive compulsive when it comes to these things and it's got to be absolutely perfect. Nothing is more sad than getting back an order of PCBs and something being "just off." I'll keep you posted!

SpencerPedals

No need to apologize for OCD when you're shooting for quality

xdissent

Update: I'm alive, and so is this project.

I had a lot of annoying problems with the Eagle devices I was using in this particular pedal, so I put this design on hold for a little while to get my parts libraries straight. That's good news for everyone because I'm now much closer to ordering the boards and all future projects will go much more quickly, plus I've also released everything I use in Eagle so you can use it too. See my post here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=80469.0

fuzzo

hI xdissent , what's new ?

Have you more compared the both pedal  ? have you solved the parts issues ?

(No really an interesting post from me, but that's just to keep this thread alive and showing my interest )  :)

SpencerPedals

I'm also hoping the project is alive and well.  I'm finally settled in and did my first etching and soldering in months, the night before last.  I'm looking forward to this one.

El Heisenberg

"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

SpencerPedals

http://www.youtube.com/user/STONEDEAFFX

I've emailed him about kits and boards and waiting on a response

fuzzo

SpencerPedals

I never got a response to emails I sent to two different addresses he has listed.

El Heisenberg

"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

fuzzo

Strangeamps

I know this thread has long been abandoned, but here's my contribution to closure! A slightly cleaner PCB trace artwork, and a sloppy veroboard version with switches instead of the 4011 & 4016. I can verify that I've built the vero version and it works, but if anyone sees any glaring errors let me know.

-Strangeamps
aka lennythefence
aka nutjob

Strangeamps

i forgot to put an indication that the height pot center lug goes to the very bottom right corner track.

rockain

hello,

i want to make one more Q - selectable., like the PDF-1 . What kind of resistors i have to put in the circuit?

Can help me somebody?

thanks