Alternative to LM386

Started by CodeMonk, August 06, 2008, 09:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

I built (and still building a headphone amp) using an LM386.
I really like the way it sounds, but am also looking for an alternative thats a little less noisey.
Or modification ideas, like maybe adding a noise gate to it.
And of course current draw is an issue, I don't want a 9 volt battery to live through this for 20 minutes than die
Any suggestions?

I posted what I am working as my base in another thread (designed by Jeff Musser).

Thanks

ambulancevoice

there is
TDA2822M
stereo 1 watt amplifier (8 pin dip)
LM380
2 to 5 watt amplifier (14 pin dip, requires heat sink)
also, the JRC/NJM 386 is said to be better than the LM386
its apparently much more stable
so maybe give it a try??? since you dont need to change the circuit or build a new on altogether
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

gez

Quote from: CodeMonk on August 06, 2008, 09:16:38 PMI don't want a 9 volt battery to live through this for 20 minutes than die

Anything that drives a heavy load - speaker or headphones - is going to need to supply a fair amount of current.  Even low-wattage circuits are current hogs (for a battery).  Personally, I'd think wall-wart and have done with it.  If you are dead-set on using a battery, all you can do to minimise current consumption is find an amp that has low 'tick-over' current.  The most efficient (that I've come a cross) in this respect are Class D type amps.  I can't remember the names of any chips offhand (they do exist, though) as I've tended to 'roll my own' in the past.  They're incredibly quiet but not as efficient as you'd think as the inevitable voltage drops across the LC filter network that is traditionally used on the output(s) lets them down.  You end up needing a higher supply in order to get calculated output levels, which often causes higher current flow in input stages.  Swings and roundabouts...

As for headphone amps, I use the NE5532.  It's a standard op-amp but can source/sink a hell of a lot more current than your average dual device.  Not enough to drive a speaker, but plenty for a pair of headphones.  A very quiet amp, but tick-over current can be high(ish).

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NE5532-D.PDF

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Steben

• SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

CodeMonk

I don't mind the work (god know I do enough of it tinkering with stompboxes and such), but I finally found an enclosure I like and I want to use a 9 volt power source.
But I'll still keep that idea in mind.

Thanks