first project! need a little help finishing it up

Started by lerxst88, August 06, 2008, 06:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lerxst88

alright so i just finished my first PC board for a clyde mccoy wah. here is the schematic i was working from

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mccoy/mccoylayout.gif

and here is my finished pcb:

solder side

i bought these jacks at radio shack which i hope will work

and this is the shell im putting it in. its an early 90s dunlop gcb-95. the pot and wiring harness is all still intact

so how can i hook up the pot, switch, the input and output? thanks for all your patience and advice. im a real noob at this!

liddokun

That schematic is for true bypass, while the switch is a spdt switch. You either have to buy a 3pdt or 2pdt switch to get it to work without tonesucking, or add an input buffer to the circuit. 
To those about to rock, we salute you.

John Lyons

To put it another way.
When you use a switch like the one that's in that wah shell you usually use a buffer so the signal from the input is not degraded by going from the input of the wah circuit and to the output in bypass. Usually this makes the bypassed signal sound muddy and lifeless.
Beg, borrow or steal a DPDT footswitch so that when you are in bypass the input directly connects to the output.

Go to GGG (general Guitar gadgets) linked above and download a wah wiring diagram.
This will show you how to wire the pot and footswitch as well as input and output.

By the way, the board you used is called "perf board" not PCB. PCB (Printed circuit board) has copper traces connecting the parts of the circuit.
If you need a DPDT switch I can sell you one, I have a few extra.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

liddokun

Yes, John put it way better than I did. Sorry for being so unclear about it. Thanks for being really clear, John.

lerxst88

well can i get it started somehow so i can see if my work has paid off or have to start over again on the perf board? i think ill end up getting a DPDT or 3PDT switch anyway so i can do true bypass and put in an LED. how should i hook up the pot and inputs just to make sure its working so far? also whats the deal with grounding stuff? im lost on that

thanks!!!!

lerxst88

never mind i found the diagram! im gonna try and wire this thing up and see if it works. im still curious about grounding stuff. those jacks i bought, wont they ground out to the enclosure? or short it out? thanks!

lerxst88

ok it wired it all up and it works when bypassed but nothing when the wah is engaged. any ideas? im also using mono jacks for both sides and i wired it up like this:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/wah_847_lo_orig.gif

liddokun

lerxst88

yes. funny you mention the battery because at first it was shorting out and the 9v got really hot but now it doesnt

lerxst88

so i started multimetering this board. i connected the black end to the negative terminal on the battery and im just following the positive path. i came across this resistor thats barely registering on my meter. should it resist this much? i also replaced it with another 22 k and same thing. thanks!

petemoore

Measuring resistors in circuit means there could be an alternate path of lower resistance [through another portion of the circuit] across a given resistor.
  options:
  Calculate ~what the DC resistance should be using the schematic.
  Figure you changed it so it can be disregarded or is an 'offread [resisitors hardly ever fail.
  Pull one end of the resistor and measure it out of circuit.
  measure resistors without power suppy.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

lerxst88

i went thru the whole pedal and multimetered EVERYTHING except the battery itself. maybe some can make sense of these readings. unfortunately i dont have a nice new digital multimeter but i have an old one i found in our basement so please bear with me. if these readings suck i can ask my girlfriends mom to borrow her fancy one.

Terminals
1. 0
2. 2
3. 2.5
4. 9
5. 1

R1
R 0
L 0

R2
R slight waver
L slight waver