Ink stamps/ labeling -I’m certain that with enough effort we can do it

Started by jimbob, August 07, 2008, 11:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Hi all,

I realized that labeling can be done well using ink /stamps versus printing labels and ect from laser printers and so on. The only hang up I'm finding it what kind or type to use that wont smear and adhere well. If you look at any Analogman pedals they have just the right amount of stick with no smear. It looks as though it were stamped once and done. My tries were far from those.

Does anyone have an idea of local, easy to purchase ink that would look well and stamp well to our stompbox surfaces? I even thought of thickening the ink up with a little glue. But also, one needs to have a good stamp to. Maybe a stamp made of something available and easily replaceable.

I'm certain that with enough effort we can come up with a reasonable /very decent way of labeling our effects
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

I did find this as a starting point [urlhttp://www.rubberstampchamp.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=F06][/url]

QuoteXstamper® pre-inked industrial stamps are for heavy duty stamping needs. The specially formulated ink is fast drying and permanent when fully cured. These stamps are ideal for marking on metal, glass, plastic, leather, glossy surfaces and fabrics. Available in red, black, blue, green, purple, white and yellow. White and yellow ink require special care. Re-ink with Xstamper Industrial Ink Only. 1/4" round.

http://www.rubberstampchamp.com/images/stampchamp/pdfs/XstamperIndustrial.pdf
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

John Lyons

Soulsonic did a nice Klon build using rubber stamps.
I believe he used Stazon ink. Unfortunately the site is blocked from DIYstomp so I can't post the link here. :icon_frown:
I checked that ink it out online. Looks pretty cool and is supposed to not smear and also not "emboss" (when the stamp pressure squishes out the ink on both sides of the stamped letter making a sort of outline in the ink)
It's pretty expensive but you don't use much per stamping a box.

I've done a little experimenting with this box below.
I used a rubber stamp kit from Staples that I already had for mailing addresses.
This is water based acrylic paint which I clear coated with polyurethane.

The letters are a bit rough but for the overall aesthetic it worked.

I still need to try some different inks/paints

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

davent

That looks really cool John! When i first saw this in the pictures thread i thought you had used a punch set and then filled with contrasting paint. Totally had me convinced.   Was in Micheals yesterday looking for pedal finishing ideas like the liquid Sculpey,  lurked in the stamp section for a while but didn't buy, will have to take another wander through.

Take care
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

John Lyons

Thanks for the compliment Dave.
The box was for my brotherDave who plays in a reggae band.  :-X

I've thought about buying a set of those punches to do lettering with.
Harbor Freight has a couple different sets for not much money.

Jimbob
I think you would be better off with something you could customize with different letters and combonations.
The Stamp kit I bought was $20 I think. But I got it years ago...

At any rate, it has several different stamp template handles and you can load a few different sets of letters
and have them ready to go at any time. It's also not that much to have custom stamps cut for you. Not cheap
but worth it if you are doing a lot of stamping with that one stamp.

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

jimbob

QuoteIt's also not that much to have custom stamps cut for you

I thought about that too. I would have 1 brand symbol (example- devils head) that would be probably in the center of each pedal and then a stamp for Volume, Gain, ect ect..to cover the basics.

soulsonic

StazOn is the ink to use! :D
The trick is to get ink that is solvent-based as opposed to pigment-based.
You can still get away with using pigment based if you carefully put a layer of clear coat over it - but you have to be careful that it doesn't run.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

R.G.

Acrylic artist's paint. Spread thinly on a small sheet of glass pane with a rubber roller to get the right thickness.

If you use solvent based paint, you need to test to be sure the solvent does not attack the rubber stamp or the adhesive that holds it to the handle.

We used to use IC-pattern stamps to make PCB resist. Long long ago and far away...   :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

sfx

Already mentioned above, but I think the StazOn brand is the stuff to use. Lots of colours (including white) and should be very durable.

John Lyons

Quote from: soulsonic on August 08, 2008, 02:33:50 AM
StazOn is the ink to use! :D
The trick is to get ink that is solvent-based as opposed to pigment-based.
You can still get away with using pigment based if you carefully put a layer of clear coat over it - but you have to be careful that it doesn't run.

Martin
The pigment is what makes the ink opaque.
Any opaque ink has pigment (fine ground solid particles of a particular [pun not intended] color)
I think you meant to say that the main two inks are water based or solvent based.
One based on a water soluble medium and the other is solvent based which dries quickly and has an oil derived base.
Both pigmented (if they are the opaque colors)
Just clarifying.  :)

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

therecordingart

Bumping an oldie.

Have any of you had luck with stamps? Do you NEED to cleacoat after applying the stamp?