METAL SIMPLEX TONELESS VERO LAYOUT

Started by Renegadrian, August 11, 2008, 01:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

It was in my "to build" list, but I personally don't like FX with tone controls, in fact I also built a toneless ODIE from ROG (it rocks) and the Valvecaster is way better witout that useless tone control...

So here it is, my toneless verified METAL SIMPLEX. I really like it, I was expecting less gain, as I read somewhere, well, it's not  SLAYER but it's not only AC/DC...
I really like this one and I also tried it with different trannies, I liked 2N5089 but for now I'll stick to the original 2N3904.

Obiously all credits go to Howie and Xavier, I just made a small mod to their work.

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Baktown

Unless I'm mistaken, the orientation of the transistors is 180 degrees off.

Rick J

Renegadrian

You're right, man, I just used original image, it had them that way..So yes they should be turned the other way.

And...Yes that LED lights up as you strum!!!  :icon_smile:

Renegadrian

So here it is with the right Qs orientation...but you'd guess it anyway...

This pedal rocks!!! I played with it thru my zoom and my pc, or directly thru my practice amp...man what a sound!!! I love it...
Such a simple circuit and the hell coming out of it...Also the LED blinking makes you wanna strum endlessly!!!  :icon_surprised:

Der Groovemeister

Sounds extremely interesting! Can you post a sound clip?

"What do you mean, dynamics? I'm already playing as loud as i can!"

Renegadrian

I'll try...Hope I can make one tomorrow...

Filip

First of all, sorry for bumping a really old thread!

I tried to build this tonight but it did not turn out as great as I hoped. When I plug the power in the led is always on and the pedal is really quiet. When I remove the led it sounds as it should, without the distortion of course.

This is my second build every, so I'm pretty new to this. I can put up pictures if that would help with the trouble shooting. Thanks!

bluesdevil

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

goulashnakov

Pictures are always helpful, as well as voltage readings.  For reference, I'm assuming you used the schem/layout posted in this thread?

A good coffee table read if ya haven't done so already:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Also, welcome!   :icon_smile:
"[It] ain't about 'Booty.'  It's about Tranzzistahs... ya dig?"

Filip

I finally had some more time testing my new build and here is my results.

Yes, I did use the second layout posted in this thread.

For some reason I don't remember I used 2n5089 transistors instead, but from what I understand they are more or less the same?

Here is my readings for the transistors and the led, should I get readings from somewhere else as well?

Q1 (5089)
C = 0
B = 0.58
E = 5.31

Q2 (5089)
C = 0
B = 0.61
E = 2.3

D1
A = 2.3
K = 0.61

nocentelli

I assume you're reading the transistors "upside down" - The emitters in the layout are both grounded, so they must be 0v: However, your collector readings are both zero, so either you have the transistors in backwards (i.e. like in the first, incorrect layout posted here) or you are quoting emitter voltages when you mean the collectors.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Filip

I did a complete rebuild of the pedal today and this time it's actually working!

Maybe one day I will continue debugging the old one, until then I will enjoy the heavy tones coming out of this pedal, pretty amazing actually!

Thanks for all your help!

vigilante397

Surprised I never saw this thread before. Did anyone ever get a sound clip up? I might be interested in trying this one out.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

lmorse

+1 for interested in hearing a sound clip

vigilante397

Quote from: lmorse on October 11, 2014, 08:49:53 PM
+1 for interested in hearing a sound clip

If nobody answers by Monday I'm afraid I'll probably build one and put up a clip  8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

lmorse

vigilante397

Okay, first attempt was a resounding failure. It doesn't respond to the guitar at all, but when I adjust the gain knob it squeals like mad. Kind of a cool effect, but definitely not what I was going for :P I'll try again.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

So I figured with this low parts count I may as well start over rather than trying to debug it, but when I was going through making the trace cuts I noticed that there is a cut under R3 that I forgot to do the first time. Made the cut and plugged it in again, fired right up.

It sounds pretty good, though I think I might actually try the one with the tone know just to see if I can get a different sound out of it. I'm cooking dinner right now, but I promise I'll record a sound clip after dinner and post it. I should mention though since I don't have it boxed it does have a bit of noise.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

I kind of forgot about this after dinner last night, but I threw this together before school this morning. Forgive the poor sound quality, this was done "close miking" my amp with my phone :P Also as I mentioned it isn't boxed yet so it's got a nasty hum.

https://soundcloud.com/vigilante397/metal-simplex-rough-demo
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com