Black Crowes "Lickin'"....stutter pedal to achieve the intro riff?

Started by skiraly017, August 12, 2008, 09:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

Been on a Black Crowes kick lately. I know Rich is using the pickup selector switch to achieve the stutter for the intro riff. I was wondering if I could do the same with a momentary footswitch. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

Video for "Lickin'"
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Ice-9

You could use a push to break momentary switch to do this but you might get quite a bit of poping noise from the switch. Or another way might be to have the switch control a fet to open and close, this when open would ground the input signal and when closed would give a full signal.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

skiraly017

I haven't totally thought this through yet but I would assume there would be two footswitches....an effect On/Off and the momentary/Stutter switch as well.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Ice-9

It could be done with one switch but would be better with a dedicated bypass. I will see if i can draw up a schematic, i will have to photograph it with my phone tho as i dont have a scanner. I will do this after work today and you can see what you think.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

alfafalfa

When I watch this video I get a very strong suspicion  that his guitar is very touch sensitive because of a loud amp setting ( or high gain distortion pedal ) and is on the verge of feedback.

All he has to do is fret the notes and put one volumecontrol on his les paul on zero and the other one at a high level and put the toggle switch in the middle and watch him toss the switch back and fro to get this effect.

Pete Townshend did this with the Who ! 

At least this is my idea !

Alf

yodude

Quote from: Ice-9 on August 12, 2008, 09:49:37 AM
You could use a push to break momentary switch to do this but you might get quite a bit of poping noise from the switch.

I thought switch pop had to do with discharging capacitors?

This seems like a really cool idea which would be relatively easy to implement.

blanik

Quote from: alfafalfa on August 12, 2008, 01:07:47 PM
When I watch this video I get a very strong suspicion  that his guitar is very touch sensitive because of a loud amp setting ( or high gain distortion pedal ) and is on the verge of feedback.

All he has to do is fret the notes and put one volumecontrol on his les paul on zero and the other one at a high level and put the toggle switch in the middle and watch him toss the switch back and fro to get this effect.

Alf

it's a bit obvious, you even see the guy doing it in the video, and it sounds a little "botched" unlike an electronic device would do...
:icon_wink:

Ice-9

I just watched the video as well and i do a similar thing with my guitar. (my guitar has a seperate toggle switch for each pickup so if i only select 1 pickup, then i can throw the switch on and off giving full volume then no volume.) So there are two ways to do this . The easy way with just an on / off switch or the second with a little circuit like this one.

I think making a circuit to do this is over complicating thing tho.

The circuit is not tested but should work ok

when the switch is in the normal position the fet is turned on by the 1m5 gate to 9v resistor so you will get no output from the circuit
when the switch is in the closed position the gate is set to groundso the fet is turned off  = volume at the output

So depending if you want output when you press the switch or release the switch you can fit either a push to make or a push to break. or swap over the switch and resitors so the switch is on the 9volt side rather than the ground side.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

skiraly017

Quote from: alfafalfa on August 12, 2008, 01:07:47 PM

Alf

I agree completely since he's getting feedback at the end of some of the notes. I just thought it might be a fun thing to play around with that wouldn't cost a whole lot to build. I don't have any momentary switches on hand but need to order some stuff. I'll give the simple version a go and see what happens.

Solidhex

Yo

Volume's rolled off on one pickup, not one the other. You'd probably want the guitar signal to be grounded for the "off" parts not just an open circuit to work in an identical fashion to what he's doing with the pickup selector. Not sure if it would really make a sonic difference. You'd need a dpdt like this: Http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=25
  Anyways working an effects like this it would make more sense to have the guitar "on" when you pressed down on a switch since the most notes you play etc are going to occur during downbeats where you would most likely be "tapping" you foot. Know what I mean?

--Brad

skiraly017

Quote from: Solidhex on August 14, 2008, 01:35:13 AMAnyways working an effects like this it would make more sense to have the guitar "on" when you pressed down on a switch since the most notes you play etc are going to occur during downbeats where you would most likely be "tapping" you foot. Know what I mean?

--Brad

Absolutely, otherwise you kind of have to think "off time".

petemoore

Sounds to me like a synthy fuzz and a noise gate, noise gate set to gate until 'hit' with an attack, at that point it ramps 'on' and soon ramps 'off'.
  That's because it sounds sort of like a volume fader being flipped up and down, closely following the attacks.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

skiraly017

Quote from: petemoore on August 14, 2008, 12:12:30 PM
  Sounds to me like a synthy fuzz and a noise gate, noise gate set to gate until 'hit' with an attack, at that point it ramps 'on' and soon ramps 'off'.
  That's because it sounds sort of like a volume fader being flipped up and down, closely following the attacks.

Rich is doing it with the toggle but I imagine there's a whole lotta volume behind him.

Rich proves this one does, in fact, go to "11".

Darkness, Darkness

Sometimes the most simple effect is just the killing one... 1/4  of idea, a bit of talent  :P, some attitude and just rock  ;)

Ice-9

he really is just switching the toggle on the guitar with only one pickup vol on. its an easy effect to do if you have the right guitar. not really possible properly with a strat type pickup switch.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

skiraly017

Quote from: Ice-9 on August 15, 2008, 06:23:39 PM
he really is just switching the toggle on the guitar with only one pickup vol on. its an easy effect to do if you have the right guitar. not really possible properly with a strat type pickup switch.

Hence the reason for thinking about doing it with a momentary footswitch.

The French connection

Kill switch: http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/support/schematics/kill_switch.jpg

...can also be done with a NO (normally open) spst momentary

Quote from: aron on November 01, 2007, 03:16:40 PM
There are two lugs. One way to do this is to  connect one lug to the signal and the other lug to ground. Now when you step and hold the switch, your signal is shunted to ground; killing the signal.
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

bdevlin

This guy in this clip has been doing this on his Les Paul with the toggle switch for over 20 years.  Check it out about 2:45 seconds in.  Sorry about the bad audio quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3r6jHI1-w

skiraly017

Quote from: bdevlin on August 16, 2008, 12:53:07 PM
This guy in this clip has been doing this on his Les Paul with the toggle switch for over 20 years.  Check it out about 2:45 seconds in.  Sorry about the bad audio quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3r6jHI1-w

Wow! I didn't think Dave "I'm a god and you're not" Meniketti was still around. He's the only one I know that has an ego that rivals Yngwie's (at least it did back in the day).