Noisy Cricket: PCB or Radio Shack?

Started by morpha2, August 14, 2008, 07:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morpha2

Just curious if anyone has any comments on building one of these with a custom PCB or the Radio Shack circuit board. Seems like the Radio Shack route would be easier. Do the results differ that much?

slacker

It will sound exactly the same however you build it if that's what you mean.

morpha2

Basically, yeah. THanks for the input. Now that I've looked over Dano's build sheet, though, the PCB looks pretty rad with the direct-mounted pots and switches. I hate etching, but I hate wires, so I'm at a bit of an impasse! Anyone know of a drill guide for the PCB build?

Barcode80

not sure what you mean by "drill guide." you drill wherever you see holes....  ???

morpha2

Oh, for the enclosure. Having the pots and switches permanently in place worries me as I would likely screw up the drilling and one or more of them wouldn't fit. I guess I meant a drill template.

hday

You can make a drilling template for the correct spacing. Then solder the pots to the board while they're in their correct holes, that way if they're off a few mm or something, you have a bit of room to bend the leads before you solder them.

ayayay!

Dano's noisy cricket was my first "top to bottom" build, and looking back I didn't like that little Radio Shack "project" board.  But if you're not sure how to build in on perfboard from a schematic, then use the Radio Shack board.  I just eyeballed my enclosure for drilling since I knew it wasn't going to be a big deal.
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

dano12

I've built them both :)

The PCB route is a nicer build in the end, but I also hate etching PCBs. Regarding the holes, I usually drill the pot holes a bit larger than necessary to make it easier to line up the pots. The washer covers the slightly larger hole so it all seems to work out in the end.