Tone pot for a rangemaster?

Started by Colin_D, August 17, 2008, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin_D

I would like to add a tone control to my rangemaster clone. What values should I use for the pot and cap? Also, where in the schematic should the pot go? If there are already threads on this subject feel free to point me to them, but I haven't seen much.   ???

Thanks!
Colin_D

selectortone

I have built the Rangemaster kit from Das Musikding which has a 3-way tone switch which provides three very usable different tones.

The schematic is here

petemoore

that's a good idea.
  Otherwise you get into passive losses on a circuit which doesn't have much signal strength 'spare' to begin with.
  I would suggest figure out what frequencies you want to attenuate, and limit the passive losses to ~those frequencies.
  Such as a capacitor and pot at the end of the circuit for rolling the highs off some?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

fuzzo

keeley has put a tone control in his treble boost, java boost. I think you can find the schématic, it's a simple tone control, similar to proco rat or other sutffs like that.

d95err

Weber jas a Rangemaster derivative with a tonecontrol:
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/texas_schem.jpg

I haven't tried it so I don't know how it sounds.

analogmike

Quote from: petemoore on August 17, 2008, 08:54:15 AM
  Otherwise you get into passive losses on a circuit which doesn't have much signal strength 'spare' to begin with.

right, avoid tone knobs on a rangemaster as it will harm the tone. Select input caps to shape the tone to your liking.
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

John Lyons

+1
The Rangemaster is a treble booster after all... :icon_wink:
No need to cut what you have already boosted.
Really depends on the amp you play it into.

You can change the input cap to something larger and get more of a fuller boost.
.005 stock treble boost. .01 is a good bit fuller and louder...
Try the runoffgroove.com Omega for something a little different that sounds really nice
and is variable high to full boost via the "range" pot.
Does the rangemaster thing and also a full range boost.

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

smallbearelec

For something both similar, and Very different depending on settings, try a Bear Boost Plus:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/BearBoostPlus/BearBoostPlus.htm

Sound clips are in the article. You can buy a complete kit, or PC board only, or cobble your own board.

Regards
SD

Colin_D

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've decided to go with 3 selectable input caps instead of a tone pot.

Krinor

Another fun thing to do to shape the overall response of a booster is to replace the resistor from emitter to ground with a suitable pot. I did this on an LPB2 and now it does everything from clean boost to nasty, sputtery fuzz. For the Rangemaster you could probably use a 5K linear pot. I also tried a treble rolloff tone control, but it sucked too much volume so I ended up with two different cap values on a switch instead.

petemoore

Bear Boost Plus:

It looks like the input jack tip connects to Battery +.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.