Suggest an NPN build for me...

Started by aab0mb, August 21, 2008, 03:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aab0mb

I have a bunch of NPN transistors (2n3904, 2n2222, etc.) from radio shack and I want to build either a fuzz, distortion, or OD with them.  Can anyone suggest a build (preferably low parts count) on the smoother side of the sound spectrum?  Never done a fuzz so that might be what I lean towards.   

Appreciative of any suggestions,
Aaron

gutsofgold

a stock fuzz face with low gain silicons will be smoother than you think. perfect overdrive with your guitar volume set just right. I use my one knob fuzz face more than I do my tube screamer now.

MartyMart

Check out Dragonfly's "Smooth Silicon Fuzz" it's simple and a VERY nice smooth Fuzz/Over drive.
One of the best sounding and useable one's around IMO.

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

JOHNO

ive got big muffs with those transistors. one has all 222s and another with 3904s they sound great.

Renegadrian

NPN you say?
Wel, go build the NPN boost then!!!  :icon_lol: Simple circuit from Gus, on the bluesy side...
Else you can build Gus Driver Boost.
Also there is a good overdrive, Metal Simplex, there is a simple layout I made without the tone pot. It uses 2n3904.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

newfish

Am I right in thinking you can vary the Hfe of a device by changing the load current?

I know the Rangemaster gives more grit as you change the load resistor.
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

petemoore

LPB
  Fuzz Facey thing, read "Bias" and see GEO again or...and also, figure Q1 as using a low gainer for fun test at least, if the gain is kinda high the FF will resist cleanups a bit or more.
  BMP can benefit from HG/LN transistors, see 2n5088, 2n5089, MPSA18.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

as mentioned, the Smooth Silicon is nice...

also, i might suggest a Colorsound Overdriver...

newfish

Just been looking at schematics for Fuzz Boxes.

I built a Silicon Fuzz Face a while ago, but it was just too harsh (both Qs were BC107s).

Ge version is much warmer to my ears.

Feel inspired to see if I can make a smoother Si box - since I have a few 2N222s (I think)...

Thanks once again to the people of this list for posting schematics for the rest of us to breadboard / build...
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

alex frias

In my humild opinion, if you have a bunch of them, select some with hfe around 120 and build FoxxToneMachine/Prescription Electronics Experience pedal or a Big Muff.

I was very well impressed (and now a converted fan) with the Saturn 5 Fuzz.

For the FuzzFace side of things: Smooth Silicon and Axis Face are good pathes anyway.
Pagan and happy!

aab0mb

Hey!  Thanks guys.  Just got back from a couple of gigs out of town and I'm pleased to see all of the helpful suggestions.  Time to look at all of the ideas a bit closer and get building...  :)