SP3T switches - is there such a thing? Or miniature Rotary?

Started by frequencycentral, August 24, 2008, 09:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

I'm looking for a switch. I have rotary switches, but they are 22mm - they take up a lot of space when all the pots I'm using are 15mm. A three position toggle would do the job - ON/ON/ON, the ON/OFF/ON type wouldn't do the job. Is there such a thing? A UK supplier would be great
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

rackham

R.G.

Have you looked at slide switches?

Yes, mini rotaries exist. They are quite expensive in most cases and may be hard to find.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

frequencycentral

Quote from: rackham on August 24, 2008, 09:49:09 AM
I've bought some of these before:

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quote from: R.G. on August 24, 2008, 11:36:51 AM
Have you looked at slide switches?

Yes, mini rotaries exist. They are quite expensive in most cases and may be hard to find.

I would prefer not to use slide switches, as drilling rectangular holes is such a pain - I guess I would at a push - but I can't even find these at my usual suppliers.

Mini rotaries would be perfect - I only need a couple, so cost isn't really an issue. Any ideas about suppliers?

Also - I'm sure I read somewhere about using ON/OFF/ON toggles in ON/ON/ON mode.................?

EDIT: The other option I have considered (in my madness) is to use a 4017 with a momentary switch combined with a 4066 to step through four possible options. Now that would look cool - especially with four LEDs - but it adds a whole lot of circuitry!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

slacker

What do you need the switch to do, like you said you might be able to make it work with an On/Off/On.
I've never seen SP3T toggles only sliders, the DPDT On/On/On switches work in a different way which may or may not work for what you want.

RickL

NKK lists a switch in a catalogue I have from 2001 (probably still available) that looks like a dpdt centre-off that can be wired as a sp3t. If the lugs are numbered:

1 2 3
4 5 6

left connects 1-2 and 4-5, centre connects 1-2 and 5-6, right connects 2-3 and 5-6. Run a wire between 2 and 6, 5 becomes your common, 4 is P1, 1 is P2 and 3 is P3.

They also make a similar switch (that looks like a 4pdt centre-off) that can be wired as a dp3t switch. I found out about them when I was rummaging through the sale bin in my local electronic supply place a couple of years ago and have used both versions. They're listed in my catalogue as M2024 and M2044 respectively.

Update: I just checked NKK's online catalogue, the switches are still available. Any electronic supply place should be able to order them. Steve - Small Bear may want to look into stocking these.

skiraly017

Mouser shows a SP3T on/on/on toggle by NKK, part number 633-M2024BB1W01-RO. Here's the data sheet.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

any

smallbear carries a 9mm alpha 1p6t mini rotary.
Just don't know if you can limit the amount of throws...
It's supposed to sound that way.

calpolyengineer

Quote from: skiraly017 on August 24, 2008, 09:38:07 PM
Mouser shows a SP3T on/on/on toggle by NKK, part number 633-M2024BB1W01-RO. Here's the data sheet.

That datasheet shows that the SP3T is in fact an On-On-On DPDT with pin 2 and 5 connected just as Rick said. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread cause I have plenty of those On-On-On switches and nothing to use them on...yet.

-Joe