AC noise in my cornish board, help!

Started by sjaltenb, August 31, 2008, 03:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Hello all,

I am on my second version of the Cornish style board. I have three A/C powered pedals...Two Tube drivers and an Electric Mistress. They each have their own transformer. I used a basic block A/C power distributor which i used to distribute my incoming AC power to each transformer. All the secondary power wires are shielded, and so are all my signal cables. So i did some testing today and the AC pedals are NOISY!

These pedals were silent in their natural home, and its not a hum, I get the hum out when i ground everything properly of course, but its a loud HISSSSS.

The ONLY good thing is that it does not seem to have any affect on the DC power pedals, HOWEVER, i am not yet using the 9vdc transformers, i am using an external OneSpot for testing...

Any suggestions would be great!!! Maybe it has to do that all my transformers are all together? Help me please!! here are pictures:

sjaltenb

two things i noticed during futher testing:

rolling the guitar volume down kills the noise.

putting a 9v externally powered byoc muff, totally outside the board in its own regular case, in the signal, when turned on, kills most of the hiss but amplifies the 60 cycle click click click click

sjaltenb

d@vide

sjaltenb

well, oddly, last night all i had to do was connect all the grounds, even though i was testing one pedal at a time.

I woke up today, did the same thing, and now i have noise again! ahhhhh :icon_evil:

one of the tube drivers has rapid ac clicking noise....cant figure out why it would be any different from the other one. it has a center tap on the trasnformer.....does this have anything to do with it?