Super low gain boost, or reducing the boost of an LPB2?

Started by audioguy, September 04, 2008, 05:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

Hey guys- Im wondering if there is a nice clean boost that doesnt boost much- I want something that hits unity gain around 3 o'clock on the sweep.
I like the tone of the LPB2, but its got more boost than I'm looking for... is there a way to make it boost less maybe?

Thanks!

Audioguy

ayayay!

Hmm, what about a lower Vref for the LPB design?   LPBs are still putting out +/- 8.1 volts after the voltage divider. 

I'm building one tonight.  I can try 4.5volts I suppose.  Or would that just FUBAR everything? 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

audioguy

That Tillman link looks interesting... is there a layout floating around anywhere?

audioguy

Gus

The beginner boost has a min gain of about 2.  Use a volume control after it.

OR STM's jfet with a volume control and adjust the gain for the max you want, in the current jfet thread
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=70065.80

Or work out the math for controlling the gain of a LPB and input resistance and add a volume control after(The LPB is a standard text book circuit)

OR..........

audioguy

Built the Tillman and it sounds great, but I want it to be able to cut the volume as well... like the LPB2 but without all of the boost the LPB2 has. The Tillman has a nice amount of boost, I just need to cut it some.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

Gus

audioguy

What are you asking?  The simple thing to do is to use a lower gain boost with a volume control after it.

Did you look at STM's refined jfet boost?

Or the beginner with a fixed 4.7K resistor for the gain control pot(4.7 E to ground)  Replace the 100K pulldown with a 100K volume pot(0 to about X2 gain)

audioguy

I see what you're saying now... I was making it harder than it needed to be.

Thanks!