1ohm resistor as a jumper?

Started by calpolyengineer, September 04, 2008, 05:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calpolyengineer

As you can probably tell from the title, I was wondering what you guys thought about using a 1ohm resistor as a jumper on a board. I was asking cause resistors are so easy to put in and ridiculously cheap and I find it to be such a hassle to cut little pieces of wire for jumpers. I guess I'm just trying to validate my opinion that because the typical resistances we deal with are in the kilo-ohms, would 1ohm look any different than 0ohm? Thanks,

-Joe

Dai H.

you can already buy a resistor like that (a "zero ohm resistor")

calpolyengineer

Quote from: Dai H. on September 04, 2008, 05:45:42 PM

Oh yeah, I know this already. But none of the places I usually buy parts from carry any.

-Joe

MarcoMike

I don't get it... every solid wire or every other resistor's lug is a "zero ohm resistor"....
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

kurtlives

Quote from: calpolyengineer on September 04, 2008, 05:40:40 PM
As you can probably tell from the title, I was wondering what you guys thought about using a 1ohm resistor as a jumper on a board. I was asking cause resistors are so easy to put in and ridiculously cheap and I find it to be such a hassle to cut little pieces of wire for jumpers. I guess I'm just trying to validate my opinion that because the typical resistances we deal with are in the kilo-ohms, would 1ohm look any different than 0ohm? Thanks,

-Joe
Use the leads from components that already have had their leads trimmed off.... No hassle.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Franky

One advantage to a precision (1%) 1R resistor, is that you can read the current flowing thru it by reading the voltage across it without any math..

Sometimes it's good to put some in a circuit to check the current, as in power supplies or power sections of effects (to know the consumption without unplugging anything).

drk

what i do is, always have a box around, where you put the leads you cut from the normal resistors/caps/etc, then when you need one you just pick it up from the box

earthtonesaudio

I say go ahead and use them but NOT for ground connections.

petemoore

+1 earthsaudio.
  If 1 ohm doesn't matter then fine, I use weeny little resistors like that sometimes, it's better than just discarding them, for something that needs a connection, a 1 ohm 'wire' is undesirable.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Boogdish

yeah but make sure you account for the +/-10% tolerance in it.

R.G.

Mouser sells the 5166-801 speedy lead bender. This is a formed bit of plastic with grooves and recesses so you can lay a 1/4W (and many other) resistor on it and get the leads bent perfectly to 0.400" every time. I discovered these over 20 years ago and it's one reason I standardized on 0.4" for 1/4W resistor lead spacing. It's just too easy, neat, and pro-looking to whap in a resistor, squash, and have perfectly bent leads.

Note that any bit of wire, including especially cut off resistor leads can be laid in the 1/4W/0.4" space and come out as a perfectly spaced 0.4" jumper.  :icon_biggrin:

This was so good that I built a gang-bender out of plexiglass. This is a strip of plexiglass just a hair over 3/8" - 0.375" - 9.5mm wide that I can lay a thumb's worth of resistors on in a line and squash all of the leads on one side flat with the side of the strip, then the other. It's not nearly as precise as the bender, but it makes maybe a dozen component bends at a time for when you're turning out a dozen boards.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

frank_p

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on September 05, 2008, 09:14:23 AM
I say go ahead and use them but NOT for ground connections.

Sorry, for the "maybe stupid" question, but why ?
What is happening when you do this ?

Think I will get an other coffee...
ZZZ I am still sleeping...

frank_p

Oh, I was really sleeping, sorry.   ;D

Dai H.

Quote from: Boogdish on September 05, 2008, 09:37:01 AM
yeah but make sure you account for the +/-10% tolerance in it.

joke? Is there going to be a difference from a jumper wire of the same dimensions?

maybe the OP is referring to difficulty in say picking up a bare wire (thin, small mass) off a table or something like that (versus a resistor with a "body" somewhat easier to squeeze and pick up, handle, etc.)?

calpolyengineer

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't think of using spare lead clippings, I was using regular hookup wire which is such a pain to strip the ends and then get it bent into the holes. I guess I was concerned about the lack of insulation on the leads, but looking back it is not necessary. The reason I really asked this is that a bulk purchase of 1ohm resistors would be relatively cheap compared to the time I was wasting trying to make tiny pieces of wire. I'll definitely look into those lead benders, I have seen them before but I never really considered getting one.

Naz Nomad

I love putting jumpers on a Veroboard ... because it usually means that I've finished with the DIYLC, and I've double-checked it all three times, and I'm starting to get the damn thing built.

I just use a piece of solid-core wire ... strip the insulation off a couple of feet, and just cut it as I need it ... did 21 jumpers tonight, loved every one of them ... lol
... riding a Lissajous curve to oblivion.

Boogdish

CodeMonk

One option, although not a cost effective one (but not that expensive), is, say you use 24 gauge wire for your jumpers, buy some 22 gauge wire and strip a bunch of insulation from it. The insulation can then be cut to length and easily slid over the 24 gauge jumper wire.

Another option, although a bit costly in the long run, is to use your normal 24 gauge solid wire (its what I usually use for jumpers), is to buy some small shrink sleeving in place of the insulation.
I know, that would end up costing way to much if you are making a bunch of pedals, but for one or two pedals, its not to bad. I've done this in a pinch, but its not my normal practice.

You can also go with some strippers like these:

They make stripping wire incredibly easy.