Boss OD-2 >>> Boss OD-2R?

Started by Arn C., September 05, 2008, 08:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

I was wondering how to put a remote jack out to be able to switch the Turbo on/off via footswitch.  The Boss OD-2R has this, but my OD-2 doesn't.   I cannot find a schematic for the OD-2R to see how to accompllish this.    A schematic or any help would be thankful.

Peace!
Arn C.

Lee_ranaldo

seems to be that that Remote input is just an extension of the gate control of a fet in the TURBO circuit on the OD-2
as in the DS-2 remote switch configuration. I would suggest to leave your pedal unmodified (cause it's value) but if you really need it i may help you out

good luck!

seibertdr

I would be interested also. I have an original Boss OD-2 that I would like to be able to switch on/off the turbo mode. I just modded my original Block logo Phase 90.

Thanks,

Don
Mesa RK II
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez AR-300
Schecter Hellraiser
Gretsch G5120
Guitar>Bad Horsie wah>FullDrive 2>Boss OD-2>EHX POG2>Ernie Ball Volume>Amp
M9 in loop

seibertdr

+1. I would still like to see how you can add a remote to this pedal.

Thank you, Don
Mesa RK II
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez AR-300
Schecter Hellraiser
Gretsch G5120
M9 in loop

Marcos - Munky

In the schematic I have (OD-2R), the Turbo switch is connected to a 10K resistor (R80 in the schematic), and the resistor is connected to a 0,1uF cap (C40 in the schematic). The remote jack is connected exactly like the switch: ring to ground, tip to a 10K resistor, and the resistor is connected to the same 0,1uF cap. I don't know if the schematic is correct. If anybody wants it, let me know. By the way, I don't have the schematic for OD-2 to see if they're the same units.

Arn C.

Marcos,
  I sent you the one you don't have.

Arn C.

Arn C.

Marcos,
  Could you send me the OD-2R  Schematics please?

Peace!
Arn C.

Mark Hammer

The OD-2 ( http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/bossod2.gif ) shows that "Turbo" switching involves an SPDT switching action, that will redirect the common from ground to V+ (via a current-limiting resistor).  In principle, that can be done in a non-destructive way by carefully unsoldering the lugs of the chassis-mounted switch from the board, soldering wires to them, and deftly routing those wires out the hole where the battery snap goes through to an off-board jack or simply to the remote switch itself.  It would be nice if the mod could simply parallel the existing switch and did not involve unsoldering the turbo switch, but in this case the on-board switch must be disabled for this to work.

seibertdr

Thank you for your quick reply Mark. This is great stuff, unfortunetly, I cannot see the diagram. I am getting an access denied when I click on the link.

I see what you are saying and I have no problem with trying this mod. Do you think that doing a mod to a jack on the side of the pedal and attaching a remote switch would be better? I don't know how much room there is inside of the pedal and if it would be possible to do it this way. I defer to your better judgement. I just purchased a Full-Drive 2 w/MOSFET so I may be trading out this pedal anyway. Wont know until it try it with my present rig.

Take care, Don
Mesa RK II
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez AR-300
Schecter Hellraiser
Gretsch G5120
M9 in loop

Ben N

Copy the link and paste it into your address bar--that should get you there. Worked for me, anyway.
  • SUPPORTER

seibertdr

Got it. Thank you. Does my statement above work or is there not enough room for another jack. To me, it would be cleaner if I did not have something hanging out of the pedal that I would need to be careful of. Seems like it would be easier just to plug in some type of footswitch.

Don
Mesa RK II
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez AR-300
Schecter Hellraiser
Gretsch G5120
M9 in loop

Mark Hammer

The critical issue would be finding a jack with the right properties.  Your OD-2 board is not designed around the presence of a 1/4" phone jack the way the OD-2R is.  That means there may only be room for a mini (1/8") phone jack.  Using a remote switch will mean completely disabling the existing chassis switch.  In principle, that can be done, but it involves a) more wiring than you'd probably like in a fairly tight space, and b) a stereo switching closed-circuit type jack that will let you re-connect tip and ring contacts to the existing switch or an off-board one.

There ARE a number of Boss pedals where remote switching is an absolute breeze, and all that is required is popping a hole and wiring up a mono mini phone jack.  Sadly, this is not one of them.

seibertdr

Ok. I am up for suggestions. A mini switch on the side I can flip with my foot? A SPST switch on top that I can tap with my foot? Don't know. I am open for anything.

Thank you all, Don
Mesa RK II
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez AR-300
Schecter Hellraiser
Gretsch G5120
M9 in loop

Marcos - Munky

Hey Arn. I sent you the OD-2R schematic. Check your e-mail.

cab42

That was the first mod I did to a pedal.

I just soldered two wires to the two spots where the switch is attached to the little vertical board, ran the wires between the case and the bottom plate and soldered a 1/4" phone jack on the wires:

I just made a knot to secure the wires wasn't pulled out.

When an external switch is attached the knob doesn't work as Mark mentioned.

As far as I can see the should be plenty room for a phone jack in the box. I have thought about doing it, but I hardly ever use the pedal and it works!

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

seibertdr

Thank you all for your replys. Sounds simple enough to do without damaging the pedal and can be reversed if you ever wanted to sell the pedal. I am now wondering if I will ever have a case where I need to switch between the two modes while I am playing. I like the sound of the pedal in the non-turbo mode but as a DIYer, you are always looking for the mod that will make it a little bit sweeter.

Take care, Don
Mesa RK II
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez AR-300
Schecter Hellraiser
Gretsch G5120
M9 in loop

Kowalski5233

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on November 07, 2008, 09:19:02 AM
In the schematic I have (OD-2R), the Turbo switch is connected to a 10K resistor (R80 in the schematic), and the resistor is connected to a 0,1uF cap (C40 in the schematic). The remote jack is connected exactly like the switch: ring to ground, tip to a 10K resistor, and the resistor is connected to the same 0,1uF cap. I don't know if the schematic is correct. If anybody wants it, let me know. By the way, I don't have the schematic for OD-2 to see if they're the same units.

Hey guys - I know I'm a bit late here, but I'm seeking OD-2R schematics everywhere!  This is the closest I came thus far, so sorry for thread-jacking, but Marcos, I will sincerely appreciate it if you could mail me OD-2R schematics.  I have the OD-2 schematics, but those two boards are definitely not the same.  I picked that up when I had to replace a tx, and just to be sure, went through the diagram with a mod I found for the OD-2.
Thanks solong!!