with the GGG ultra clean work with the 11vac of the weber transformer?

Started by sjaltenb, September 08, 2008, 11:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

trying to power 9 - 9vdc effects in one large enclosure. I want the cleanest power possible.

Will the GGG ultra clean accept the 11vac from the Weber 8 legged transformer? It puts out 11vac x 8

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=597

Thanks!!!

Also, how could i use this transformer to power two Tube Drivers?

guilds100

You may want to take a look at Geofex spyder power supply. It works with the weber transformer. The LM317T is an adjustable regulator that may require componet values to be changed to get the appropriate voltage, the GGG example has the values needed to get 9V out with 25vac in. The geofex version is setup with the 11vac as the input and the appropriate values to get 9V out.

sjaltenb

well i have always read that the GGG ultra clean does work with 12V, so i guess i was just wondering if that 1 volt would make that big of difference, or if there was a component change.

The GGG just seems like the perfect design, as I plan on powering 2-3 effects per power supply, and it is a nice layout.

sjaltenb

also, what is better, a bridge recifier or a diode bridge??

does it make a difference?

guilds100

either rectifier is fine.

Upon futher examination of the regulators spec sheet, it should work with 11v volt input. Youll need the EXACT resister values to achive this. The one at geofex uses pots to adjust the voltage to get the 9v and to simulate a dying battery. Both require oddball parts, GGG 274R in voltage divider, or the Geo 500R pot. 

I am building a multi effect pedal myself and would recommend building all eight 11v taps to give each effect its own isolated supply. If you want silent power, thats the way to go.

sjaltenb

I am going to find out how much it will  cost to get a custom Toroidal built to my exact specs. There is a company that specializes in SILENT, shielded and encased toroidal that you can order custom.

I am trying to decide whether or not I want to power each effect individually (which would require 10 power supplies  :icon_eek: or just do two per, which would be a lot easier.

Would I achieve the same "cleanness" if i was using the GGG ultraclean and only powered two pedals that I know never be on at the same time, or always the same time with a single supply?

Examples: (RAT and the EQ for the Rat- always together) (microvibe and phaser-never together) is never together or always together cleaner?

Building the power supplies is cheap and easy, its the cost of the transformer that i'm worried about.....