when using switched jacks...

Started by sjaltenb, September 09, 2008, 12:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

I am guessing, that you should send the tip,ring and sleeves (the ones that are active when there is NOT a plug in) to ground to prevent noise when nothing is connected.

So, basically, you can just daisy both sleeves, the switched tip and ring all together and connect them to ground...

correct?

Boogdish

If you are talking about input-output jacks this seems unnecessary.  If the pedal isn't connected to anything, is it really making noise?  If a tree falls in the woods....  Also if you're using a stereo jack on your insert to try and keep your battery from draining when nothing is plugged into it, you wouldn't want to do this.  If you're not using batteries or aren't worried about drain on them, then I don't think this would hurt anything.

fogwolf

This isn't really how a switched jack works. Usually when nothing is plugged in, you want a "default" connection between the switched terminals within the circuit. Then by inserting a plug you over-ride those default connections and provide signal from the cable you are inserting. If you want nothing connected at that part of the circuit when no plug is plugged in you should use a regular non-switched jack.

sjaltenb

I realise now the way i worded that was totally wrong!

Ok, So I have some S/Rs that are stereo like for my Volume, Wah, and other FX.

So for the Volume, when using a stereo cable If say, I wanted it so where if nothing was plugged in, it wouldnt break the singal i could do this:

Send-----Tip             Switched Tip---Wired to Ring, so, if unplugged, the circuit is still intact
Return---Ring           Switched  Return--connected to sleeve for ground
Ground--Sleeve        Switched Sleeve--connected to other sleeve for ground

right?

petemoore

I can't follow anything there.
  Could you start with a schematic or at least a description of what the intended usage or goal is so a schematic could be found and suggested or perhaps even a block diagram drawn?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Boogdish

I think you are breaking the signal there when nothing is plugged in, let me see if I'm understanding it.

SIGNAL ---->  TIP ------> Switched Tip ------> Ring ------> output
                                                                     |
                                                                     |
                                                                    Switched ring ----->ground

connecting straight to ground like that would break your signal.  That is, assuming that what you mean by "switched ring" and "switched tip" are what I think they are.

sjaltenb

sorry i dont know how to do schematics.

heres the best i can do.

I dont see any reason this wouldnt work....

Boogdish

how you drew it looks fine to me.  In the post above you wrote that you'd connect switched ring to sleeve, this was what would have made it not work.  Go wire it like you drew it, and when in doubt check for continuity with the meter.

sjaltenb

sometimes i find myself just thinking out loud on this forum....and for that i apologise  :)

sorry for my crude MS Paint drawing  ;)